Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Filter help

Hello all!!

I come to this site looking for some help and to gain some knowledge. I have been enjoying the hobby of fish tanks for over ten years now. I recently upgraded my tank about a year ago from a 55 gallon south African tank to a 90 gallon African Cichlid tank. When I start the tank all of my fish were no larger then two inches. Now I have over 20 fish ranging from 2" to 5". There has been a lot of breeding going on in my tank so I am unsure exactly how many fish I have now. I also have three placo's two which are about 6" and one that is about 12". I am having trouble with filtration. I am currently running a Rena XP3 canister filter and a Marineland 350 power filter. These two filters do not seem to be doing the job anymore. I always have things floating around in the tank now. The canister filter looked like crap after 10 days after the filter change. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would recommended the Hagen Fluval FX5. It will give you plenty of filtration. I'll link The Fluval FX5 - Complete Aquarium Filtration to 400 Gallons!

I would also use in conjunction of what you have. I'm running the 405 and two marineland 280's.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks that is the filter I have thinking about. It is an expensive filter so I just wanted to make sure it was my best option and not going to be over kill
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by king steve View Post
Thanks that is the filter I have thinking about. It is an expensive filter so I just wanted to make sure it was my best option and not going to be over kill
Shop around there are sales all over the place for them. I saw them in the mid 200's.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you considered an Aquaclear 110 hob filter? Much easier to clean/maintain than a canister, and pumps 500 gph for a lot less $$ than the FX5.
If you do want an FX5 you can find them on e-bay for a little over $200 shipped...
Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My FX5 has been ordered and should be here on Tuesday. I was planing on running the new filters with the old filters for a about a week so the biological environment could build up.in the new filter. Is this a good idea???
Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll need to run them all together for at least 2-3 weeks unless you put most of the media from the old ones into the new filter.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
You'll need to run them all together for at least 2-3 weeks unless you put most of the media from the old ones into the new filter.
Yes I agree. It will take while for the new one to develop the bacteria.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I will continue to run my old filters with the new one for three weeks.

Tags
filter, filter help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com