Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes, mine plays in it a bit, surfs it... but only mild ones... he is still getting used to it....

Old 06-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

You can get a larger like Aquaclear 20 and just cut some of the fins off of the impeller, it drops the flow rate quite a bit. Plus they have an adjustable system as it is so you can play with a range. It's a common mod in the SW world to use the giant filter section to house heaters or algae on smaller tanks.
Good luck!

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a split 5 gallon betta tank, and a Whisper internal filter on both sides. The bettas are fine with it because I got a piece of plastic mesh and tied it around with fishing line, so it limits the flow.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
You can get a larger like Aquaclear 20 and just cut some of the fins off of the impeller, it drops the flow rate quite a bit. Plus they have an adjustable system as it is so you can play with a range. It's a common mod in the SW world to use the giant filter section to house heaters or algae on smaller tanks.
Good luck!
great idea, but that sounds like something i would probably screw up... i don't know what part the impeller is or how hard it is to get to, type of material, what to cut with, how much to cut, etc.... then i ruin a brand new filter and ..... well you know...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
I have a split 5 gallon betta tank, and a Whisper internal filter on both sides. The bettas are fine with it because I got a piece of plastic mesh and tied it around with fishing line, so it limits the flow.
if it is a tetra filter, i had one and returned it for the Tom filter, did not like it at all.... not that i don't appreciate it....just hated that filter...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
I have tanks ranging from 2.5 gallons to 75 gallons, and I use sponge filters as the sole filtration on two 2.5's, a 10, and a 30. They are cheap, extremely effective, and in your application...provide low amounts of water movement so your betta isn't stressed. From my experiences the mini or nano HOB power filters are a waste of time. The smallest HOB filter I will use is a Hagen Aquaclear 30, and I run that on a 10 gallon tank.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Governale View Post
if it is a tetra filter, i had one and returned it for the Tom filter, did not like it at all.... not that i don't appreciate it....just hated that filter...

This is the one, I have 3 of them.

Amazon.com: Whisper 10i In-Tank Filter - for 2 to 10 Gallon: Kitchen & Dining
Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hills tj View Post
I have tanks ranging from 2.5 gallons to 75 gallons, and I use sponge filters as the sole filtration on two 2.5's, a 10, and a 30. They are cheap, extremely effective, and in your application...provide low amounts of water movement so your betta isn't stressed. From my experiences the mini or nano HOB power filters are a waste of time. The smallest HOB filter I will use is a Hagen Aquaclear 30, and I run that on a 10 gallon tank.
thank you, yes, rather disappointed in thier web site.. i have heard of Hagen Aquaclear 30. However even the 20 is too strong with a 100 gph flow.....definately won't work for the betta.... one of the local specialty shops said they sell the Hagen Marina Slim S10 Power Filter

however, while best i can tell it has adjustable flow, i cannot seem to find out what the gph is.. even after scouring the internet.... i even found the manual on line on there web site, as a pdf, no thru put info, which i had to search in spanish, cause only spanish and french were available.

it is indeed frustrating.... i am looking for 40 to 50 gph....
Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Governale View Post
thank you, yes, rather disappointed in thier web site.. i have heard of Hagen Aquaclear 30. However even the 20 is too strong with a 100 gph flow.....definately won't work for the betta.... one of the local specialty shops said they sell the Hagen Marina Slim S10 Power Filter

however, while best i can tell it has adjustable flow, i cannot seem to find out what the gph is.. even after scouring the internet.... i even found the manual on line on there web site, as a pdf, no thru put info, which i had to search in spanish, cause only spanish and french were available.

it is indeed frustrating.... i am looking for 40 to 50 gph....
As I suggested in my previous post, I would stick with an air-powered sponge filter.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the same filter in my fry tank and u could try putting a different air pump on it. I did a little experiment and hooked up my tetra whisper 20 to it and it bubbled over a bit but it helped with suction a lot. I highly recommend a tetra whisper!

Tags
filter, filter help, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com