Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Filter Help for a 2.5 G tank

Hello, i have a 2.5 gallon tank and a betta fish.

Currently i am using the Tom Aquarium Products 1-5 gal Mini Internal Filter. I would say i love it, but am concerned it is too much for a 2.5 gal tank? Seem like my betta is getting a workout, even on the lowest setting and with the water difuser bar. I think it is stressing him out, even on the lowest setting.

I actually turned it off for the night so he can rest. However, I fear if I run it 24/7 I'll either end up with one, in-shape, ninja betta or one that is so wore out he won't survive.

Originally I tried the Tetra Whisper 3i In Tank Filter but i hated it, too long with the suction tube, had to run an air hose outside w/ check valve, flimsy design / construction, suction cups did not work well, and the motor kept trying to vibrate off the shelf, so i had to put the cord under the tank. NOT AN OPTION.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

mjg

Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try an air operated box filter or just a tiny powerhead with a sponge attachment. Bettas need almost still water so your flow is probably stressing him out a bit. I would ultimately just spring for at least a 5g tank.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

probably some of the best advice i have had... thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Go with either a sponge filter as Crepe suggested or a small HOB filter. I believe Hagen make an AquaClear Mini that would do the job.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think i am going to end up with the Red Sea Decoart Nano filter.

I did some checking could not seem to find a good, sponge filter, but wanted it cheap, also, prefer internal or at least not an air line running out of the tank to a pump.

anyway, think that's what i am gonna do and also upgrade to a 5.5G tank and keep the Tom filter for it. Then I can cycle one of the tanks...

need to look into bio balls for that portion later.

thanks all for your help.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

bio balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Welcome to AA!

Go with either a sponge filter as Crepe suggested or a small HOB filter. I believe Hagen make an AquaClear Mini that would do the job.
Found that filter, it is the AquaClear 20 (formerly the 100)... mfg says reccommended for small tanks but good up to 20 gallons, has a flow rate of 100 gph.... i think that would be too strong for the tank...

I have since upgraded to a 5.5g tank... still using the Tom Mini Internal for 1 - 5 g tanks with flow rate of 40 gph...... if anything, it may be a little weak for the tank, but is working fine and the betta does well with it... even plays with the current a bit, which is fun to watch... sometimes surfs it.. lol....

anyway, I am cycling my tank with the fish.... long story, but now that i am learning, it seems to be working out and I don't have anyone i can loan the betta to while i do a fishless cycle...

Are bio balls or something along that line something i really need at this point.... have managed to keep the NO3 level down to 0 - .125 or so range with a minimum of 2x daily 50% water changes....

what do you think?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your going to get the aquaclear then it already has bio filtration in it so bio balls won't matter. Just a standard filter for the 5 gal is fine IMO, plus I'm not even sure how you could adapt a filter to have bio balls per se because of the size.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

well, i am not familiar with them so did not know for sure how they work, just looking for some type of media if it is even needed. Thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_BroncoFan View Post
If your going to get the aquaclear then it already has bio filtration in it so bio balls won't matter. Just a standard filter for the 5 gal is fine IMO, plus I'm not even sure how you could adapt a filter to have bio balls per se because of the size.
boy me and my filtration issues:

Well, I now have a 5.5 G tank, still with a betta, and "cycling with fish" (I know, no chiding please, no alternatives)

Ok, so it turns out my Tom Aquarium Products Mini Internal Filter for 1 - 5 gallon aquariums is being discontinued, meaning, from the manufacturer, that " However, you should (??) still be able to find replacement cartridges on line" Like that "should" part....

Product is still recent enough I can return it, cause I ain't gonna start ordering "should-be-able-to" filters on line....

Am thinking of the
Elite Hush 5 Power Filter by Hagen
FT-A50

$11.95
* Dual filter cartride system
* Built in filter insert change indicator

Hush 5 (#A-5) For Aquariums up to 5 U.S. Gallons

* 190 L (50 U.S. Gal.)per hour
* cUL Approved
* 115 V
* 60 Hz

Does anyone have experience with these filters? I like the flow rate,
wish it were adjustible, though... again worrried about the effects of the
current on the betta.

Another consideration, since currently cycling with fish is, bio matter, specifically
is the cartridge or whatever bio matter adheres to well suited for this?

I know I post a lot of questions, but how else will I learn?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know much about them but, 50gal/hr is good for a 5 gal. Believe it or not some bettas actually really enjoy some current as long as its not pressing them against the glass! I have a tetra wisper in my 5 gal for my betta and he goes bonkers in the current.

Tags
filter, filter help, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com