Filter intake cover for usual filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nermie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5 gal fluval tank that has the filter and pump in a compartment on one side of the tank. The filter intake is a tiny slit so I've had zero success covering it. I've lost too many snails from them getting stuck in it to count so I'm hesitant to get anymore until I find a solution. Any ideas? IMG_5404.jpg

You could use a stainless steel mesh like what is used for moss or use a plastic crafting mesh like this.https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/65....jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

You can get the crafting mesh at any craft store, hobby lobby, Michaels, Walmart. Then use some GE silicone 1 to hold it in place. You might could use the mesh stuff for screens over windows but you would have to read up on if its aquarium safe or not.

Thank you!!! Does the glue work putting it on even with water still covering it or do I have to drain it until the intake is out of water to glue it?

No. You will need to put super glue or silicone on when the tank is drained. The silicone will need to outgas/cure for at least 24 hours or until you don't smell anything coming from it. Super glue will cure much much faster but will break down faster over time and it turns a milky white that can be unsightly. I think super glue cures in 30 mins or something like that.

What would I do with my fish and shrimp? I have nothing else to put them in for 24 hours and the intake is low enough that they wouldn't have enough water.

This works on WET items but whether it will work under water I'm not sure. There's also a brand of Loktite(sp) used on corals by SW users you might look into1546228867866.jpg

Thanks! I don't mind draining to glue it I just can't wait 24 hours. Superglue will probably have to do I don't really care about looks and wouldn't mind redoing it

Thanks!

I used magnets to hold the plastic mesh in and it's working great so far! Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom