Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filter intakes

I have lost several fish to the suction intakes of my 2 AquaClear 300's (70's)....most recently one of my nice fat, healthy otos. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Old 05-30-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
how big is the tank? can you turn down the flow? you might be able to find a sponge prefilter to fit on the intake like the ones they make for power heads, for reverse-UGF setups

Old 05-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #3

Tank is 29 gallon...I can reduce the flow on both AquaClears but it's still strong enough to trap an oto.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

did you get what I meant when I said the sponges for power heads should fit over your intakes so your fish wont get sucked into them? the sponge will distribute the suction across its outer surface area wich is larger than the intake grill on the tube and relive alot of the pressure that is near them,the intake tubes, ie. the fish wont get sucked in as easily.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #5

yup...got it. thanks. Got a great suggestion from another board about using larger plastic tubes dug into the gravel, extending up to and beyond the filter intake
Old 05-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

sounds like a good idea.. dont like the idea of incorporating the gravel into my filter personally though, it could prefilter the water some for you...
Old 05-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #7

I'm not following you ...please elaborate
Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once you extend the bigger tubes into the gravel you will start to get some suction through the gravel.. causing part of the gravel in your tank to become part of your filter.. if you do this you will need to make sure you vac that gravel really well, during your pwc's, because more than likely it will accumulate alot more funk than it would normally.
Just giving you a heads up.. the sponge idea would be the same but the funk would be more visible, so you would know when to clean it, and oddly enough build up faster; you might be better off with the tube method if you gravel vac real well in the first place.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is also the option of removing one of the filters and raising or lowering the intake of the remaining filter in an attempt to pull the intake out away from the mainstream path of the fish. We are all about over filtering, but 2 AC 300's is a lot of over filtration for a 29 gallon tank. Unless you were using the second filter to jump start the cycling process for another tank? Either way, I like the idea of the sponge pre-filter. I've heard of some people using the sponge pre-filter to help protect fry from being sucked into the filter. If helps on fry, then it should be able to help your oto's too.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #10

Raising or lowering the intake probably won't help in the otos case....they like hanging on to the intake tube regardless of it's position in the water. The sponge sounds good...anyone have a link so I can get a look at one?

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com