Filter intakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potsieweber33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have lost several fish to the suction intakes of my 2 AquaClear 300's (70's)....most recently one of my nice fat, healthy otos. :( Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

how big is the tank? can you turn down the flow? you might be able to find a sponge prefilter to fit on the intake like the ones they make for power heads, for reverse-UGF setups

did you get what I meant when I said the sponges for power heads should fit over your intakes so your fish wont get sucked into them? the sponge will distribute the suction across its outer surface area wich is larger than the intake grill on the tube and relive alot of the pressure that is near them,the intake tubes, ie. the fish wont get sucked in as easily. :mrgreen:

yup...got it. thanks. Got a great suggestion from another board about using larger plastic tubes dug into the gravel, extending up to and beyond the filter intake

sounds like a good idea.. dont like the idea of incorporating the gravel into my filter personally though, it could prefilter the water some for you... :mrgreen:

Once you extend the bigger tubes into the gravel you will start to get some suction through the gravel.. causing part of the gravel in your tank to become part of your filter.. if you do this you will need to make sure you vac that gravel really well, during your pwc's, because more than likely it will accumulate alot more funk than it would normally.
Just giving you a heads up.. the sponge idea would be the same but the funk would be more visible, so you would know when to clean it, and oddly enough build up faster; you might be better off with the tube method if you gravel vac real well in the first place.

There is also the option of removing one of the filters and raising or lowering the intake of the remaining filter in an attempt to pull the intake out away from the mainstream path of the fish. We are all about over filtering, but 2 AC 300's is a lot of over filtration for a 29 gallon tank. Unless you were using the second filter to jump start the cycling process for another tank? Either way, I like the idea of the sponge pre-filter. I've heard of some people using the sponge pre-filter to help protect fry from being sucked into the filter. If helps on fry, then it should be able to help your oto's too.

Raising or lowering the intake probably won't help in the otos case....they like hanging on to the intake tube regardless of it's position in the water. The sponge sounds good...anyone have a link so I can get a look at one?

Thats 600 total gallons per hour in a tank that might have 27 gallons of water in it after the gravel and decorations and such displace some.. thats about 22 cycles per hour.. thats about 344% over necessary filtration and 178% over the maximum filtration needed for fish that need heavy filtration fully stocked and grown.
you could take one off without any concern about the filtration needs of the tank.. one is more than enough for a 29 gallon. they are rated for up to 70 gallon tanks each personally I think it would be more like 60-65 or so..

My water is PERFECTLY clear ever since I added the second filter and I really want it to stay that way. I mean I can look into the long end of the tank and see no difference from looking in the front. I never had that kind of clarity with one filter. Yes it is certainly overkill, bit the 2nd filter was on sale for 1/2 price when AquaClear went from the 300s to the 70s. As you can see my tank is a little overcrowded and IMO you can't over filter.

29 gallon tank...Two Aquaclear 70 filters (300's)
2- Giant Danios 2- Lemon Tets
2- Opaline Gouramis 1- Zebra Danio
2- Gold Gouramis 1- Scissortail Rasbora
2- Dwarf Gouramis 1- Rainbow Rasbora
2- Schwartz's Corys 3- Otos

Fish seem to love the extra flow and swimming against it...especially Giant Danios & larger Gouramis. All appear healthy, hungry & happy after about a month of having both filters. I will certainly take your advice to keep a watchful eye though...thanks!!!

I had the same problem with my old HOB and my ADFs. I put pantyhose over the intake and it kept the little guys from getting stuck.

check and see if there is one that connects directly to a powerhead.. it looks like that one might have an internal rigid tube that attaches to the powerhead..

Back
Top Bottom