Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-08-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
filter is leaking...

so my wonderful filter that i built myself is starting to come apart at the seems. im getting tired of trying to fix it, and are at the point where i can no longer deal with it.

thinking of either A. building a new filter with a better design for less possiblity of leaks, or B. buying a canister filter.

cheaper to just build another, i think, but i am not sure at this point in time. im just to busy to undergo that endeavor.

and i dont want to put heaping amounts of LR in the tank either, yes its the best filtration, but i have two predatory fish, and im all about seeing them everyday so thats why i have a filter.

salmo trutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Why don't you save yourself some time and money and purchase a nice skimmer instead of trying to make one? There are many cheap skimmers available that perform very well. I have a coral life super skimmer 65 OTW.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree the skimmer would be a good addition. What size tank do you have?
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 40 gallon with about 15lbs of LR and 15 lbs of base rock. fuzzy dwarf lionfish, and an angler fish.

their is also a domino damsel which for somereason, neather fish ate, so now its apart of the tank hehe.

but would a skimmer be the only thing i need? i havent really lkooked into them as the one i had before caused more problems then it was worth. im just worried about the actuall filtration
salmo trutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
a skimmer will add mechanical and desolved waste removal to your LR's bio-filtration.. its a good combo if you have enough LR.. you might want to add a little more LR and get the skimmer.. (1.5-2lb per gallon is recomened on LR+base rock)
greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, leaking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com