Filter Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalmation1080

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a small tetra whisper filter for my small tank and it has been in over a few hours now; but its not helping the water to clear up. I have a the correct filters in it and it is labeled for up to 2 gallons more than the tank I have. Its on the highest pump setting and seems to be working fine, just the filter is not keeping the water clear. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Manufactures ratings are a little optimistic so I would not count on that. That being said, it is probably not really your problem.

What do you mean it is not keeping the water clear? What is wrong with the water? Is it colored, or is something floating in it? Are there fish in the tank? How big is the tank and the filter?

Its just cloudy. Its a 1gal with a betta in it.

Well it was on all night and the water looks a little better, but its still slightly cloudy

The question is why is your water cloudy in the first place.

If it is white cloudy and there is an odor coming from the tank then it is probably bacterial bloom. If so it will go away as the tank cycles no that you have a filter on the tank.

If it is brown or green then it is probably algae or diatoms and the filter isn't going to anything.

Other things may or may not be helped by the filter depending on the what is actually in your water.

Back
Top Bottom