filter maintance questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treverchaos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First off thanks to everyone for the great advice. Having put the used filter media in my filters help both my tanks cycle in roughly 2 weeks. Water levels seem good and my fish are doing well. I added 2 more female rams to my tank for a total of 5 now, along with 2 mystery snails. All have adapted well.

47 gallon.
Water parameters are: ph - 7.2 - 7.3 range
temp - 82 Fahrenheit
ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate - just trace amounts
(in between 0 and the first color on chart.)
kh - around 70ppm.
(took 4 drops to change color.)

My question now is in regards to cleaning the filter. It is an aquaclear 70 box type filter with sponge, carbon, and bio-max media. The instructions say to replace carbon monthly, sponge bi-monthly, and bio-max every 3 months. I've read however that except for carbon that the other 2 should never be replace and only rinsed off in water removed during water changes. There is some build up of algae and I probably need to clean the inside and propeller. There is also a second filter, an aquaclear 50 on it cycling currently. I do not want to destroy the bio filter. Advice is appreciated.

The 10 gallon just has a sponge filter and is stocked with 3 rainbow shark and a spotted pim. all under 2 inch. Its a temporary home. I'm setting up a 30 gallon long. (filter cycling on 47 gal tank for last 2 weeks.) soon and making the 10 gallon a quarantine tank for new arrivals. water conditions are the same. temp is 77.

All the fish appear to be happy and healthy.

ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate - just trace amounts
(in between 0 and the first color on chart.)

Ammonia and Nitrite should be 0... always

As to the answer to your question, all you need to do is when you do a pwc, put the sponges and ceramic rings in the bucket of water you remove from the tank. I squeeze the sponges several times to get all the gunk out of them, then just swish the ceramic media around until it looks clean... no need for carbon, just a waste of money unless you have a bad smell or are trying to remove meds. I run a sponge on the bottom, ceramic in the middle, and sponge on top of both my AC's.. I do this weekly during my pwc's

I said trace amounts because the colors don't quite match the chart colors, but the tests do not appear to change colors unlike a couple weeks ago when i was getting dark colors on all the tests.
thanks for the advice. 2 of the local lfs said similar things.
Do you take the whole thing apart or just remove the inserts weekly?

Back
Top Bottom