Filter Media 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
Morning all!

I was wondering everyone's thoughts regarding the type of filter media they use and why.

I currently have Aqua-Tech Activated Carbon in the filter media baskets of my Penguin 330, but have been wondering if something else may be better.

Plus, I just read articles FancyGuppyGuy posted in another string titled: Filter Change-How Often? that was very informative. Of course, it just brought up more questions.

How do I know if the carbon I have is bituminous coal based carbon or another type?

What about Eheim Ehfisbustrat? Is this any good?

Thanks,

Michelle

The only time I use any carbon in my filters is to remove meds but this is a topic that is frequently debated and I can see both sides of the issue.

I also use the penguin 330s on my discus tanks and pleco tanks. Those little baskets are great for holding cc, a little extra filter floss, or additional bio media. :wink:

I only use sponges in my HOB filters and in my canister filters, every basket is filled with ceramic rings.

The Aqua Tech carbon is the same thing as Marineland Black Diamond, which is typically respected as one of the better carbons.

It really depends on what you want to get our of the filter. With a high fish load, you might want more bio media to prevent spikes, with very sensitive fish, sometimes you may want more carbon to keep pollutants out of the water. Not know what you have or want to do, stick a good bio media in one side of the Penguin 330, and the carbon in the other side.

Ehfisubstrat is a great bio media in the regular and the Pro versions.

Back
Top Bottom