Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

Filter Media...

I recently added some Seachem Clarity to my tank to see if that would at least contribute to heading in the direction of the crystal clear water I seek...I followed the directions perfectly, adding three capfulls for my 60 gallons...the tank immediately turned brown and within hours, my Aqueon filter's cartridges were stuffed and nearly overflowing with the stuff, turning the floss pads completely bronze/brown. I removed the cartridges and rinsed them under the kitchen sink's faucet gun until the packs looked nearly white again, and then returned them to the Aqueon -- although now it looks as though I'm going through a mini cycle yet again because the water is yet again hazy.

It seems my AquaClear filter's sponge block has also sucked up a great amount of the Clarity -- which apparently did nothing for my water -- and it's time to really clean it; what do I do here? With the AquaClear, do I take the sponge out and rinse/dunk it in removed tank water in a bucket? What about the carbon pack and biomax pellets -- do I rinse the biomax pellets in the tank water as well, or leave these alone? What about the Aqueon filter cartridges -- do I dunk these in tank water as well, or just replace them with new ones?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Use a bucket of tank water from a water change and just clean them out in it. Squeeze the sponges repeatedly until they're a creme color (once they get brown, they never get back to white). The carbon, well, id say its time to toss it out... its been in there for a couple weeks now, right? The ceramic rings, just rinse them off in the bucket too... I'd suggest doing this before the sponge as the water can get pretty nasty after a sponge cleaning.

The aqueon cartridges will be a little harder... You're going to have to give them a thorough cleaning as well... just scrub them real good and swich them around in the bucket.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Use a bucket of tank water from a water change and just clean them out in it. Squeeze the sponges repeatedly until they're a creme color (once they get brown, they never get back to white). The carbon, well, id say its time to toss it out... its been in there for a couple weeks now, right? The ceramic rings, just rinse them off in the bucket too... I'd suggest doing this before the sponge as the water can get pretty nasty after a sponge cleaning.

The aqueon cartridges will be a little harder... You're going to have to give them a thorough cleaning as well... just scrub them real good and swich them around in the bucket.
Thanks mdf...I appreciate it...

I only have the one sponge from the factory setup in the AquaClear, so just dunk this in the tank water in the bucket, and squeeze until it's a light brown? And, are you sure I should just toss the carbon? Yeah, it's been a few weeks; I wanted to replace this sack with Purigen but didn't get around to it yet...

Are you sure dunking the ceramic rings (biomax pellets) is okay? Isn't this where most of the bacteria live?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You rinsed filter cartridges under the water straight out of the tap?!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
You rinsed filter cartridges under the water straight out of the tap?!
Yeah...from a kitchen sink gun... :-|

I swear, I don't know what I'm doing anymore...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Consider yourself admonished! I'm sure you know why that was a bad plan.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I wouldn't beat anybody up over it. I"ve even heard HN1 admit that he does this on his tanks (or at least has...) with no problems. And even if it does kill some of the bacteria, the substrate, other filter media, etc will have enough to keep from having problems. How do you think people who dont know any better throwing out their old filter cartridges and replacing them get away with it?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IME they mostly end up on here asking why their fish have died!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this not a place to ask questions and get help? I do understand your point and I would have to say there is no reason for anyone to respond if they don't want to. There is no one getting paid to answer questions here. Just my two cants. No offense to anyone.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #10

Guys,

So are you saying that I shouldn't even be buying new cartridges for the Aqueon filter when they get nasty looking? I'm being told now from another source that perhaps the new carbon/charcoal inside replacement cartridges for this filter may in fact suck up some ammonia and stuff from my water, which would be good...

Tags
filter, filter media, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com