Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtez

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a secondhand 37 gallon tank and it came with almost everything I needed. Amongst this were 2 products: "Filter Carbon" and "Ceramic Substrate"

At the moment I'm only running my filter with just sponges and it appears to be cycling well - should I add these things to my filter now?

Attachments

• image-1362543186.jpg
    image-1362543186.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 68
Hello jt...

The substrate is fine as long as it's recommended for aquarium use. The chemical medium or carbon is fine to use too. It will help filter the water and reduce odors. I would use it according to the instructions and when it runs out, don't buy any more.

Once the tank is cycled and running for a time, you'll need to remove and replace a percentage of the tank water to maintain safe water conditions for your fish. The more you change and the more often you change it the healthier the fish and plants.

If you do large, frequent water changes, you don't need to use the carbon, the water change does the same job.

B

Hello jt...

The substrate is fine as long as it's recommended for aquarium use. The chemical medium or carbon is fine to use too. It will help filter the water and reduce odors. I would use it according to the instructions and when it runs out, don't buy any more.

Once the tank is cycled and running for a time, you'll need to remove and replace a percentage of the tank water to maintain safe water conditions for your fish. The more you change and the more often you change it the healthier the fish and plants.

If you do large, frequent water changes, you don't need to use the carbon, the water change does the same job.

B

Thanks for the reply B. Looks like all I need to do is pick up some dry wool for the carbon (as per instructions) and I'm set. Thank you heaps!

Back
Top Bottom