Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I have a fluval canister 306 and was wondering if the media that came with it was okay or if I should something else to it

Also I was wondering how often I should clean the media an how often I should replace it

The media that came with it should be just fine. I would do a monthly filter clean out just to keep things moving along in it. The filter media should almost never need to be replaced.

It has carbon so will that also almost never need to be replaced

Dump the carbon, use Seachem Purigen in a filter sock instead. It never needs replacement, only regeneration when it turns dark brown/black. Their Matrix product is also good.

Dump the carbon, use Seachem Purigen in a filter sock instead. It never needs replacement, only regeneration when it turns dark brown/black. Their Matrix product is also good.

What do u mean regeneration and how do I do it

Purigen does some of the same things that carbon does but when it gets exhausted you can soak it in a bleach solution to recharge it and make it work again. That's something you can't do with carbon.

What's your stock in what size tank? If you have a high bio load replace the carbon with more bio rings. Or you can just replace it with poly fill and call it a day. Purigen is a lil pricey, but worth it since it can be used over n over. But a big bag of poly fill costs like $3 will last forever and will polish your water.

Purigen does some of the same things that carbon does but when it gets exhausted you can soak it in a bleach solution to recharge it and make it work again. That's something you can't do with carbon.

Hey guys so I have purigen in my 55 gallon and love it and am soon going to add it to my other tanks

But I use liquid ferts as well as root tabs for my plants and and I know carbon can absorb the liquid ferts so does purigen do this as well

Hey guys so I have purigen in my 55 gallon and love it and am soon going to add it to my other tanks

But I use liquid ferts as well as root tabs for my plants and and I know carbon can absorb the liquid ferts so does purigen do this as well

No it will not

Back
Top Bottom