Filter media....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a quick question on filter media. What does everyone think of ceramic cylinders and lava granules from hydor? I got them today with my shippment from Big Al's Online. I ordered them to try them out. I'm putting the cylinders in one of the media baskets in the Emperor 400, and the lava granules in the other, for the bacteria to grow on. All comments welcome.

I can tell you exactly what people are gonna say. Some will love the idea, just like I do, because they think it's a very good media to have bacteria grow on. Others will say you threw your money out of the window and there are cheaper solutions just like filter floss.

Anyway, I agree with the idea, that the porous surface of ceramic cylinders/exspecially lava granules is much bigger than on plastic filter floss. Hence, more denitrifying bacteria.

Well, I can tell you that I like both filter floss and the ceramic cylinders, I actually run both in my hot magnum on my 29 gal planted tank. switched it to that way about a month ago, and to be honest havent noticed a change in my nitrite, nitrate, or ammonia levels. Added the floss and cylinders basically to use as a diffuser for my co2 which it works great for by the way.

I actually run both too LOL, ceramic cylinders and floss that is. For cannister filters I use both the ceramic cylinders, bio balls, sponges and filter floss. So far it has worked great for me!

in my aquaclears i put some filter floss under my sponge, then i have the sponge, and i have the biomedia/ceramic cylanders on top.

I was very impressed with the documentation that came with my new Fluval 304 filter - especially the part about filter media selection. I paraphrased their description of the three main filtration levels and added some of my own thoughts too.

The media that sees the dirtiest water first should have excellent mechanical filtration properties, and should be easily accessible to be rinsed out or replaced from time to time. It also has the job of breaking up the water flow so that it is more evenly distributed across the entire surface area of subsequent media layers. This layer won't play host to many bacterial colonies because the large surface area will soon become filled up with debris. Foam blocks and filter floss do a great job, and they're both relatively cheap.

The next layer of media is highly variable. It can provide additional mechanical filtration to remove fine particles, chemically modify the water (peat, carbon, crushed coral, PhosGuard), or provide additional biological filtration.

The final layer of media comes in contact with the most particle-free water stream. Bacterial colonies will thrive in these conditions if provided with media possessing a very high surface area/volume ratio. Ceramic cylinders and granules extremely well for this purpose. As mentioned, there are cheaper alternatives like sponge, but this layer shouldn't have to be replaced often, if at all, so long as the upstream filter layers are being maintained properly. Personally, I prefer the ceramic media because it will never ever compress or degrade over time, unlike sponge and polymer-based media like filter floss.

yea i must say i was quite impressed with the 304 documention, very clear.

i use fliter floss & ceramic rings, think i've got even amounts of both havent used granuals, so would be interested to hear how you rate them :)

Back
Top Bottom