Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filter media for a Eheim 2262

I am looking for alternative media to fill an Eheim2262. The Eheim media is pretty expensive to fill this beast up

Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can find some good quality media on ebay. Depends if you want brand expensive or cheaper media from less known companies. I know theres some cheap filter media as said on ebay, its up to your preference

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Old 11-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishanatic View Post
You can find some good quality media on ebay. Depends if you want brand expensive or cheaper media from less known companies. I know theres some cheap filter media as said on ebay, its up to your preference

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...
Any suggestions as to what type to look for? Thanks
Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpru View Post
Any suggestions as to what type to look for? Thanks
Biomax or well known as ceramic rings are the ultimate filter media. I would say bio balls aswell but some say those are for sumps. To me both work just as fine, are cheap and youll never have to replace em, except clean the gunk out the balls once in a while or replace the ceramic in years when it litterally starts breaking down.

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...
Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bio-balls are not a great bio-media in a closed system they have very little surface area as compared to other modern options.

Not all ceramic rings are created equal. Some, like bio-max, are very porous and others are not.

I would take a look at Seachem pond matrix for bio-media. It is comparatively less expensive for large quantities. Some large filter sponge cut to fit and a fine filter pad for polishing and you should be good to go.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

No reason you can buy bulk filter media online and cut it to fit. My canister has 5 trays inside and came with a few pads and charcoal. I cut a 2" thick coarse pad for the bottom tray, 1" medium and fine pads for the next tray, charcoal in the third, bio-matrix (Seachem) in the forth, and the top tray I just stuffed full of filter floss.

Next time I clean it the charcoal is gonna go, I'm dropping the current bio-matrix to the third level and putting another full try of bio-matrix in above it. If I need to use charcoal for any reason I'm better off placing it in the AquaClear 110 since it's much easier to replace it there.

Tags
eheim, filter, filter media, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com