Filter Media Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psun03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a custom aquarium and it came with a custom filter. I can't identify which media the previous owner had. I took some pictures of them.

1. What are they?
2. How to take maintain them?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160909_202336.jpg
    IMG_20160909_202336.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20160909_202355.jpg
    IMG_20160909_202355.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 72
I believe it's called Bio-something... Trying to remember what the something is. Honestly, I have not seen this media since the late 80s / early 90s.
It's another variation of plastic media originally designed for degassing and trickling purposes. Similar to bio balls and pall rings, commonly used in wet dry-trickle filters and canisters. Basically no maintenance. Just make sure that there is adequate physical media prior to this media to help keep it free of debris. If you do need to clean it, rinse it in aquarium water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

their similar to bio balls and work the same way to help hold existing bacteria that is good for your tank
when replacing filter media these can be rinsed in old tank water to remove any crud but try not to disturb the existing bacteria build up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom