Filter Media Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
When changing the media in my Eheim 2028 filter. Do I have to use the same media to replace it or can I go to the LFS and buy some media??

The stuff that is in it now is like two layers of rock and the bottom in tiny cylinder things.

TIA
Mason

I believe that's supposed to be your biological filtration (nitrate makers) Just rinse them in a bucket of tankwater and place them back in.

Kim

I did but it keeps shooting white flakes back into the tank :x

I fixed it. I was a nasty build up of gunk in the hoses. I have it hooked up and working fine.

I have what ever comes with the ehiem 2028 in the box. :?:

The white flakes are buildup in your tubes as you said (I have a Fluval 104) and it will happen anytime you bump the hoses (Unless you brush them out routinely (I don't)). Make sure you rinse off those ceramic cylinders frequently and replace the other media with your choice of material (and no, you shouldn't have to buy strictly eheim products, but check the warranty to make sure).

so what would be a good choice of media to buy. I was thinking about something like activated carbon or something like that?? I have a total of 3 trays. I will keep the tray with the ceramic cylinders but do not know what to put in the other 2 trays. Also does it matter in what order you put them back into the canister??

TIA again
Mason

I would keep the ceramic media on the top (so it will stay the cleanest. I use a little carbon sometimes and I use purigen pillows in the middle...

Back
Top Bottom