Filter motor stopped working, what can I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its been running for about a year now and the last few months its been turning on and off so i think i'm due for a totally new filter, plus i need a bigger tank anyway. My current is 20 gallons. I want at least a 40 gal. Anyway- getting off topic.. my initial question is: What can I do to keep my fish alive until i buy a new tank with a new filter? The water looks quite gunk-y at the moment...im going to do a water change soon. What are some things that could happen to my fish without a filter? Will they be okay for 2 weeks until I buy a new one?

Is the inside of the impeller out-of-round (or even oblong) looking through it from one end, or the impeller shaft worn?

Yes. The whole motor has pooped itself

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Filterless Tank

Its been running for about a year now and the last few months its been turning on and off so i think i'm due for a totally new filter, plus i need a bigger tank anyway. My current is 20 gallons. I want at least a 40 gal. Anyway- getting off topic.. my initial question is: What can I do to keep my fish alive until i buy a new tank with a new filter? The water looks quite gunk-y at the moment...im going to do a water change soon. What are some things that could happen to my fish without a filter? Will they be okay for 2 weeks until I buy a new one?

Hello steph...

Just change out the tank water a little more often and add an air stone or two attached to an air pump to provide gas exchange. At least until you replace the filter. The water change is the true filtration. It removes the dissolved wastes. The filter just takes in toxic water and returns water that's a little less toxic. The filter is mostly a source for aeration (gas exchange).

B

If it is a name brand filter you should be able to buy a new impeller, that almost always fixes the filter
I would go for A 50 GAL not a 40 cost about the same but more room for fish
you could also put a sponge filter in the tank till you replace the filter they will work great in a 20gal

Back
Top Bottom