Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Filter Noise - Normal?

New here! And I have my first aquarium all set up & cycling. I'm on day 2, been filtering for 12 hours. I have a 36 Gallon Bow Front which looks really nice. For my filter, I went with a Penn Plax Cascade 700 Canister Filter. As far as noise, I don't know what "normal" is, or when others say this filter is "quiet" and "silent", but I think mine is far from that... I can hear my filter from the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor upstairs (tank is on first floor). As the tank is in the living room with the TV, sitting on the couch I can hear the filter pretty loud. The noise is definitely coming from the filter unit itself (motor?), not any rattling from the tubes, etc.

When my home's furnace is on and heat is coming out, the heat is louder than the filter. But the filter is louder than the refrigerator. Here is a video I tried to take of the filter's noise. The filter seems louder than in this video, but my question is, is this normal? Should I hear the filter when standing next to the tank/or standing at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor?

Penn Plax Cascade 700 Filter Noise - YouTube

Old 11-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Mine is also behind a cabinet door and I'm told it is about the same hum as the refrigerator. Basically a background hum. Mine are generally noisy on start-up and then settle down - I assume as air is purged and the impeller settles in. You could try checking the impeller is seated properly. Also I believe rocking the canister gently may free any trapped air. I usually switch mine on and off a few times and find that helps.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4phil View Post
New here! And I have my first aquarium all set up & cycling. I'm on day 2, been filtering for 12 hours. I have a 36 Gallon Bow Front which looks really nice. For my filter, I went with a Penn Plax Cascade 700 Canister Filter. As far as noise, I don't know what "normal" is, or when others say this filter is "quiet" and "silent", but I think mine is far from that... I can hear my filter from the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor upstairs (tank is on first floor). As the tank is in the living room with the TV, sitting on the couch I can hear the filter pretty loud. The noise is definitely coming from the filter unit itself (motor?), not any rattling from the tubes, etc.

When my home's furnace is on and heat is coming out, the heat is louder than the filter. But the filter is louder than the refrigerator. Here is a video I tried to take of the filter's noise. The filter seems louder than in this video, but my question is, is this normal? Should I hear the filter when standing next to the tank/or standing at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor?

Penn Plax Cascade 700 Filter Noise - YouTube
If you are new to filters, HOBS or canisters, it can be hard to tell what is loud or quiet. Some filters can take a few weeks to 'break in'. You shouldn't be able to hear it from upstairs though. Try folding a towel in two or three and placing it under the filter and see does that help with the noise.
If that doesn't help, remove the impella and put a layer of Vaseline on it. This can help with the noise too....
It should sound like a gentle hum. My cheap HOB sounded VERY loud at first(i'm used to filters) but after 2-4 wks I have to check if it's actually on!!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would also do as Delapool suggested and gently rock it from side to side to release any trapped air. Turning it off for a few minutes and turn back on. Repeat this a few times and it might help too.....
Old 11-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I appreciate the replies, especially what a filter "should" sound like. As this is my first aquarium, I've never owned a HOB or canister. I've read so many reviews that (like you mentioned) they don't know if the filter is even on. Enter my concern from above.

I vaselined, gently moved it side to side, turned off then on several times, put a towel underneath. I think the sound is better. ESPECIALLY compared to my air pump (man that is annoying! (internal kind for a volcano)). Hopefully the noise will quiet down more and more.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good luck with it
Old 11-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4phil View Post
I appreciate the replies, especially what a filter "should" sound like. As this is my first aquarium, I've never owned a HOB or canister. I've read so many reviews that (like you mentioned) they don't know if the filter is even on. Enter my concern from above.

I vaselined, gently moved it side to side, turned off then on several times, put a towel underneath. I think the sound is better. ESPECIALLY compared to my air pump (man that is annoying! (internal kind for a volcano)). Hopefully the noise will quiet down more and more.
Believe it or not, you will get used to the 'noise' very quickly. It should be a low hum. The air pumps can be very annoying. I used to use one but I got sick of the noise and mine was a top of the range Eheim pump. Air-Stones are purely cosmetic, so if you get tired of the noise of it, you can remove it without any harm.
Can you post a picture of your air pump. I might have an idea to help you with that.....
Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Believe it or not, you will get used to the 'noise' very quickly. It should be a low hum. The air pumps can be very annoying. I used to use one but I got sick of the noise and mine was a top of the range Eheim pump. Air-Stones are purely cosmetic, so if you get tired of the noise of it, you can remove it without any harm.
Can you post a picture of your air pump. I might have an idea to help you with that.....
Here is what I bought: Volcano Bubbler

Came with this pump: Pump Link
Old 11-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

if you ask me they are not silent. I have an eheim pro 3e canister which is considered a very quiet filter, and its definitely louder than my refrigerator. I can hear a hum sitting on the couch 10-12ft away, but i cannot hear it from another room. One thing I noticed with my canister was that it was more quiet when it was packed full of bio media and filter floss/pads. I wanted more flow so i removed some media and while i did get more flow i also got more noise from the motor.

beware putting a tank in your bedroom. After you get used to the filter noise and water trickle putting you sleep, you will have a hard time falling asleep anywhere else.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93MSB View Post
if you ask me they are not silent. I have an eheim pro 3e canister which is considered a very quiet filter, and its definitely louder than my refrigerator. I can hear a hum sitting on the couch 10-12ft away, but i cannot hear it from another room. One thing I noticed with my canister was that it was more quiet when it was packed full of bio media and filter floss/pads. I wanted more flow so i removed some media and while i did get more flow i also got more noise from the motor.

beware putting a tank in your bedroom. After you get used to the filter noise and water trickle putting you sleep, you will have a hard time falling asleep anywhere else.
They are indeed not silent but I think over a short time, you get used to the noise and struggle to hear it.
I completely agree with you on the bedroom thing. I had one in my room for years when I lived at home and when I moved out I struggled to sleep without it.....

Tags
filter, noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com