Filter not working at all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grazowens

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. We have a bio filter which came with our 100 litre tank (unknown make) purchased 2 years ago from our local pet shop. Today we discovered that it's not working at all. We have checked the impeller to see if it is blocked and this is not the issue. After some research it's possible that the motor has burnt out. Does anyone have any experience of successfully repairing the motor? Also, if unable to repair, how do you you go about finding out the make of the filter itself so as to replace it. The model number is aa390 and that's all I know. (For info, the impeller pulls water through to a box at the top of the tank, which contains bio balls, carbon and white stones). Apologies if I don't sound very technical, I am a novice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello graz...

Don't waste time and money on replacing filter parts. Invest in a dual sponge filter, a length of aquarium tubing and an air pump. The whole setup isn't more than $30.00 plus a little shipping. The sponge filters are easy to assemble and there's no filter media to replace.

B

If I'm not mistaken most filter motors now have no moving parts everything is a big magnet that runs the propeller and input may need cleaning than jiggle propeller it should run freely . your tank came as a kit I believe you said whats the tank brand .
Aquaeon , tetra , pentex ect or even post a pict of it I know someone could probably Identify it
most of the manufacturers will usually send a replacement propeller free. I burn up propellers like every 3 months they basically know me now yeah you can buy them in a pet store but they are way over priced and why pay for them if you can get them free .

Last edited:
Keep the filter media wet in tank water and maybe in the tank if you can, a mesh filter media bag can hold it in the tank. Gently rinse off gunk using treated or tank water. You can use it again for the next filter.

Make sure there is an air bubbler next to the filter media to keep it's colony of BB alive and air for the fish.

Hi thanks very much for your help, I decided to buy new rather than try to repair seemed more trouble than it was worth, couldn't find the same type so bought a fluval u2 under water filter for £36 quid and incorporated some of the old media in it, so far so good, thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom