Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
filter or sump????

I have a 55gl salt water aquarium and my protein skimmer caught fire and exploed.... I was wondering if I should just replace it or maybe go with a canister filter or a sump.. Any feed back would be wonderful explaining the pros and cons of each one and which would be better in th elong run. THANK YOU

You only LIVE once, Make it COUNT!
kristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a filter hang on the back and a protein skimmer however I change to sump/overflow box w protein skimmer and all my readings are good. Never wanted to get the canister filter for some reason maybe someone else could answer that part. The sump is very quiet and there is little maintenance once setup. they say that the sump is a nitrate factory however if you clean the bio-ball every 4-6 months it will not build up to that. Hope this helps you. I have FOWLR setup with live rock. Oh I would still get a skimmer either way. It helps get the nasty stuff out of the water, IMO.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
tigger4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
If you replace the bio balls in your sump with live rock, its a lot better and it won't become a nitrate factory even without cleaning. However, a canister filter will almost definitely become a nitrate factory.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com