Filter overheating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
My marineland pengiun bio wheel filter keeps overheating and shuting off.. Its rated for 55 gallons and i have a 30 gallon tank.. Any sugestions on why this is happening?.. It hasnt broken yet, i let it cool down over night and start it again, but its the second time its happened..

hmmm... the only things I can think of is either:
1. The filter motor is defective. Is it still under warranty? If so, take it back. If not, contact the manufacturer and see if they can do something for you. The number to Marineland Customer Service is 800-322-1266. The one good thing about it is that the thermo safety device is working and it wont catch fire.
2. Lack of cooling air around the filter motor, although this is highly unlikely. Make sure the motor is mounted correctly and not binding the shaft and that there is sufficient clearance for air to flow around it. Also, make sure the impeller isnt binding up from gunk buildup.

That does seem odd. A filter needs to run constantly for years. It should not be overheating. My Marineland filter has run nonstop for a decade. If yours keeps overheating, there is something wrong with it. Good luck- I hope the company will help you out.

I found out that its the propeller.. Its not aligned right and stops.. I have my fresh water tank filter figured out.. But my saltwater filter is acting up now... Cant catch a break...

Ive read that this a common problem with the pengiun units

Back
Top Bottom