Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Filter Pad Cleaning/Changing

I know we're not supposed to change the pad until it's falling apart.... But I've failed to swish it in tank water during PWC... I'm going to do a PWC tomorrow... And see how much wet sticky brown goo comes off.
It's on my 20g L that have Molly fry/Juvie's in it aging 7 wks--13 wks old.. Because of their age they are fed 3 times a day... So the bioload etc is greatly multiplied...

What are your recommendations?

Attachment 66903

Old 12-24-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Recommendations as far as what? She you do your pwc just swish/rinse it in the old tank water. And your food to go! From the looks of it you may have some BB on there. I wouldn't throw that way.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Recommendations as far as what? She you do your pwc just swish/rinse it in the old tank water. And your food to go! From the looks of it you may have some BB on there. I wouldn't throw that way.
I took the pad out for the picture and slid it right back in! I get my new test kit on Sunday and can't wait to test and see what it is.
Usually when the gunk looks like sludge is that a sign of a good BB colony or it varies in different situations..?
I'm wondering how bad it's been that I haven't swishes in old tank water. Would that only be a problem if it caused a blockage? So far have had good water flow.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure you'll be fine. I would rinse it in old tank water though. Test your water and post your results. I usually rinse my filter pads in old tank water every other water change.

EDIT: this is just my opinion but I wouldn't rinse it entirely you know what I mean? Don't try and make it look brand new. Swish it around and get some of the stuff off of it but not all. Then just drop it back in.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I'm sure you'll be fine. I would rinse it in old tank water though. Test your water and post your results. I usually rinse my filter pads in old tank water every other water change.

EDIT: this is just my opinion but I wouldn't rinse it entirely you know what I mean? Don't try and make it look brand new. Swish it around and get some of the stuff off of it but not all. Then just drop it back in.
Okay sounds good..
Old 12-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Filter Pad Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
I know we're not supposed to change the pad until it's falling apart.... But I've failed to swish it in tank water during PWC... I'm going to do a PWC tomorrow... And see how much wet sticky brown goo comes off.
It's on my 20g L that have Molly fry/Juvie's in it aging 7 wks--13 wks old.. Because of their age they are fed 3 times a day... So the bioload etc is greatly multiplied...

What are your recommendations?

Attachment 66903
Hello oc...

You can change the filter pad more often when it becomes clogged with fish and plant waste. I do large, weekly water changes and because my tanks are heavily planted and stocked, the filter media would become clogged with waste and not work efficiently if I didn't change it pretty often.

Here's what you do: Make sure you check the filter media weekly, when you do your water changes. Hopefully, you're doing them that often. If not, you should be. Anyway, just inspect the filter. If it's clogged with waste, then replace it. But, before you do, rinse a new filter in a bucket of the old tank water and then squeeze a little of the contents of the old filter onto the new one. That way you're transferring some of the bacteria to the new filter.

I use a little different filter media, but do the same thing to make sure I don't throw away all the good bacteria.

This is just how I do it for my tanks and my filters run smoothy and efficiently.

B
Old 12-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can rinse and reuse clogged media for a while.

Tags
changing, clean, cleaning, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com