Filter Power Wire Submerged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasetopher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have a new Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 in my 20 gallon tall tank. When the filter is in place, the power wire is submerged about 1/2 an inch in to the water. Being an engineer, this seems like a bad idea. My water level is just up to the point where its hidden behind the black framing for the aquarium. I used some plastic and raised the filter high enough so that the wire was above the water level, but this creates about 2.5" of waterfall in to the tank, and creates a pretty serious current in the water blowing my plants over and the tiger barbs won't swim in the middle of the tank.

Should I keep the filter high or low? Heres a picture of the filter.
http://i.imgur.com/lUsCL.jpg

The wires are all sealed. It's meant to be in the water - as long as it doesn't get on the outlet

It'll be fine. Just like powerhead wires are supposed to be submerged.

Thanks all, its submerged now.
@Dookie - Look at the picture, the pump is on the water side and is low, with the wire running externally up the back of the casing, wraps over the top and front, under water, to the pump.

It is fine to be submerged. I got one of those filters with my 20H kit I bought. The motor housing is at the top of the intake, which can be submerged. It's a weird design.

Back
Top Bottom