Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filter Power Wire Submerged

Hi all, I have a new Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 in my 20 gallon tall tank. When the filter is in place, the power wire is submerged about 1/2 an inch in to the water. Being an engineer, this seems like a bad idea. My water level is just up to the point where its hidden behind the black framing for the aquarium. I used some plastic and raised the filter high enough so that the wire was above the water level, but this creates about 2.5" of waterfall in to the tank, and creates a pretty serious current in the water blowing my plants over and the tiger barbs won't swim in the middle of the tank.

Should I keep the filter high or low? Heres a picture of the filter.
http://i.imgur.com/lUsCL.jpg

Old 01-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The wires are all sealed. It's meant to be in the water - as long as it doesn't get on the outlet

Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

How is it under water? The power cord should be hanging off the back side of the tank.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It'll be fine. Just like powerhead wires are supposed to be submerged.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks all, its submerged now.
@Dookie - Look at the picture, the pump is on the water side and is low, with the wire running externally up the back of the casing, wraps over the top and front, under water, to the pump.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

It is fine to be submerged. I got one of those filters with my 20H kit I bought. The motor housing is at the top of the intake, which can be submerged. It's a weird design.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com