Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Filter Problem??

A couple months ago I purchased the Nanocube 24g model..everything was fine till the past week or so - now, the water drains quickly from the filter portion of the tank until it is nearly empty, while the water is displaced to the tank portion (almost caused several overflows). When this happens, the filter blows nothing but bubbles. I've cleaned the actual filter itself, but this hasn't solved the problem. I've had to turn off the filter until I find a solution..hoping my livestock don't die in the meantime. Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get rid of the sponges that came with the unit in the first filtration compartment. Let us know if this works.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you!! It ended up being the small sponge in the second compartment..so I kept the big sponge in and just removed the smaller one. Now the tank came w/ a net-like bag of black pegs (charcoal?) and a white bag of something that looks like noodles..should I keep these in?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I took "noodle" filter out on my 30gal QT tanks and replaced them with poly filters. I left the charcoal in. Just be sure to replace the charcoal filters occasionally
Old 10-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not use any of the media that came with unit. Best thing to do is replace it all (bioballs, ceramic rings...) with LR rubble. You can use the carbon for a little while then switch to GAC or Chemi-pure.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Since I don't currently have anything to replace them with, I left them both in..I should be making a trip to the LFS next week so I plan on swapping them out then. In the meantime, everything's still running perfectly with the small sponge gone. One other question - what's the proper way to siphon the tank (I have the Python)? There is a lot of debris in the live rock, but it seems impossible to siphon it from there without disturbing the rock. Thanks again.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com