Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WiltingSoul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My mom wasn't too happy when she found out the 20gal tank was going to be put downstairs, so I've decided to swap my 10gal for my 20gal & put it in my room. This means my 2 common goldfish will be moved to the new tank. My question is about the filter. I don't have a filter for the 20gal but I've currently got 2 running in the 10gal. One is an Aqua-Tech 5-15 & the other is a Penguin Mini. they're identical in size, though I'm not sure how many gallons the Mini is rated for. I'm wondering if running both of these will be sufficient for the 20gal tank. I plan on getting a single filter big enough for the 20gal, but it won't be for a couple weeks since my friend is purchasing it & that's when he gets paid. I'd like to get the 20gal set up asap so my gf are happier. Also, would I be able to get any other fish in the 20gal? Mainly I'd like a bottom feeder to take care of the food my gf leave behind & to stir up the sand since I have a sand bottom.Thank you very much for your help.

Without knowing the capacity of the mini, it's hard to say.

However, if it were me, I'd pop the 5-15 filter on, and check the water levels every day to make sure nothing goes way up. Also, limit your population of fish until you get a properly sized filter on the tank.

I've read that the tank size a filter is rated for is actually higher than it should be. So, for a 20G tank, try to get something that's rated for 30G. That should do well, as long as the water isn't too turbulent.

I wouldn't recommend getting a bottom feeder unless it's needed. I've seen too many tanks with starving plecs and otos, where the owners figured "oh, all tanks need a bottom feeder/algae eater" and got one (or more) without realizing that they actually need a population of algae in the tank to feed the animal :/

Oh I wasn't planning on getting a bottom feeder without providing food for it. I wasn't going to just assume it was getting all it needs from sifting through the substrate.

You don't need to delay setting up the tank for the filter. I agree, put the best filter you have on the best tank you have. Filtration requirements really depend on the fish, not the tank. If the filter can handle the waste from the goldfish in the 10 gallon, it can handle it in the 20. You may lose a little water clarity (slower turnover of water means less mechanical filtration of floating particles), but shouldn't lose chemical purity.

A 20 gallon tank with 2 common goldfish is already way overstocked though. Are these still babies? They will need to move to a bigger tank eventually.

Keep in mind that goldfish are not tropical and prefer very different water temperatures from the bottom-feeders you might be thinking of.

Back
Top Bottom