Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2004, 02:49 AM   #1
wrx
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to wrx
Filter Question

What will happen if i use a external filter that is for a 92 to 144 us gal tank and 1200L/H and my tank is 58 gal i just connected it without the fish in tank and was thinking of getting a few 4in fish the guy at aquarium said that it is good my water will be clearer and then my friend told me that it will blow the fish away in the water so i stuck my hand in the water and it was o.k what do you think.[/b]

Old 02-21-2004, 03:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1200L/H = roughly 316G/H which gives you almost 5.5 times the volume of the tank being turned over every hour which seems to be at the low end of what most people on this forum suggest (6-10 times the volume of the tank turned over every hour is the guideline I have seen used by the more experienced fish keepers here).

Old 02-21-2004, 08:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

But is this a canister filter?
The 6-10 time rule doesn't seem to be followed for canister filters, as they have a much better filtering system, from what I've read.

I wouldn't be worried if it's a canister, maybe add a powerhead to get good movement in the tank.

Good luck
Eric
Old 02-21-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

316 gph total water displacement in a 58 gallon tank is nothing in terms of turbulance. You can keep most any fish in this tnak w/o concern of them being "blown away."

As an example - I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank - it has a Filstar xp3 (350 GPH) and 2 Hagen power heads each at 175 gph. That's a total of 700 GPH and none of my fish are blown away.

The effeciency of canisters over other methods is not really what your concern here is - I don't think - but just for the record I agree with other posts - canisters are tyically pretty effecient filters at lower flow rates.

Tom
Old 02-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree with the above. Also, with a canister, even if you have way too much flow, you can distribute the flow via a manifold so it doesn't all come out in one place. I've had two Emperor 400's on a 55 FW before with no problems...fish were happy. IMO, unless you have a heavily planted tank, it's better to oversize the filter a bit.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
I concer!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
I further the above... I have 10x my gallons filtered in my 125 gallon right now, plus an 1140 Gallon per hour powerhead. No worries on your filter, it's probably perfect for the job!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
wrx
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to wrx
Thank you all for your help I'm sure i will have some more questions soon.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com