Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What will happen if i use a external filter that is for a 92 to 144 us gal tank and 1200L/H and my tank is 58 gal i just connected it without the fish in tank and was thinking of getting a few 4in fish the guy at aquarium said that it is good my water will be clearer and then my friend told me that it will blow the fish away in the water so i stuck my hand in the water and it was o.k what do you think.[/b]

1200L/H = roughly 316G/H which gives you almost 5.5 times the volume of the tank being turned over every hour which seems to be at the low end of what most people on this forum suggest (6-10 times the volume of the tank turned over every hour is the guideline I have seen used by the more experienced fish keepers here).

But is this a canister filter?
The 6-10 time rule doesn't seem to be followed for canister filters, as they have a much better filtering system, from what I've read.

I wouldn't be worried if it's a canister, maybe add a powerhead to get good movement in the tank.

Good luck
Eric

316 gph total water displacement in a 58 gallon tank is nothing in terms of turbulance. You can keep most any fish in this tnak w/o concern of them being "blown away."

As an example - I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank - it has a Filstar xp3 (350 GPH) and 2 Hagen power heads each at 175 gph. That's a total of 700 GPH and none of my fish are blown away. :)

The effeciency of canisters over other methods is not really what your concern here is - I don't think - but just for the record I agree with other posts - canisters are tyically pretty effecient filters at lower flow rates.

Tom

I agree with the above. Also, with a canister, even if you have way too much flow, you can distribute the flow via a manifold so it doesn't all come out in one place. I've had two Emperor 400's on a 55 FW before with no problems...fish were happy. IMO, unless you have a heavily planted tank, it's better to oversize the filter a bit.

I further the above... I have 10x my gallons filtered in my 125 gallon right now, plus an 1140 Gallon per hour powerhead. No worries on your filter, it's probably perfect for the job!

Thank you all for your help I'm sure i will have some more questions soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom