Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning, apparently Bill had built a little bubble nest which really makes the surface of the water slimy and gross. I couldn't take it anymore, so I moved the filter over to Bill's side of the tank. He wasn't too impressed with the change at first, but he seems okay now.

I just kind of slid the top of the tank toward the front. It DOES have scored lines for cutting, but the one on Bill's side of the tank is very small. I've never seen a filter that small that would fit, but at least now I know I can hook another small filter up on Jake's side.

I also considered just getting an airstone to move the water around. Any thoughts on whether that might work rather than an all new filter?

Kwenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
The other slit on the tank cover should be for a hob thermometer but you can hack up the lid for your needs.

I'm going to put a biowheel 330 gph hob on one side of my tank. The other I am mounting a h.o.t. magnum 250. Hopefully I can modify the tank output/input tubes so I won't hack up the lid too much.

I've never been into sponge filters but I've heard some good things. My wife likes the air-bubble lines (if you do this get a valve to throttle the air), which do cause more air turbulation but it lacks any cleaning ability.

Another option that also moves current but doesn't clean is a powerhead... not sure what the lowest gph is tho. Certainly don't want to stress the fish by slamming it against the glass. 8O

You could probably make a sponge filter with a powerhead but not sure exactly how easy/cheap it would be compared to retail purchase.

noteworthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com