Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercury64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a question in ref to filter
My daughter got a 30 gal tank from a friend, I was goingto sert it up for her ,she does not have a filter, I have a 170 external filter, whisper I believe that someone gave me and I'm not using it
Do you think that filter is big enought for the tank ?

I here what your saying, just trying to figure out the recipe for this
when you got to a fish store and ask for a filter they know what size to use for the size of tank you have

Well, there are many measurements they go by. Some name their filters by the tank size. IE, a filter named "40" is good enough for a 40 gallon tank. Others, like "170", is named after the gph that filter is rated at. Either way, many of us go by this rule. You should try for at least 6 times the size of the tank. So for a 30 gallon, you want to try and filter at least 180 gph. If your filter does actually put out 170, then I wouldn't worry about getting a second filter to supplement right away. But see how it goes.

Filter makers are bad about overrating the filters. Some only do half what they say they will with filter media installed.
The filter or filters should turnover the water 6 to 8 times per hour. 30gal x 6 = 180. 30x8=240
Looks like the whisper 170 is a bare minimum fit if the gph is as stated.

If you see a filter in a store that says rated for 15 to 30 gal tank dont use it for more than a 20gal. Find one that the low end rating matches your tank.

Back
Top Bottom