filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartman57

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how often should i change my carbon cartridge in my cascade 300 filter!!! ihave a 45 gallon mixed cichild tank!!!!
also my water seems to be a little cloudy and i placed this stuff called cycle in it but it didnt seem to work. i didt a water change last week and cleaned the waste.
thanks

What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? What kind of cichlids are you keeping? How many cichlids do you have in that tank? Carbon becomes in active after a few weeks. I don't use carbon in my tanks. With regular water changes, the water stays clear and water parameters in check.

my nitrites are a little high but the cycle stuff i was told will take care of that.. otherwise i am not exactly sure what the names of the fish are but i have 6 medium to small ciclids and one eletic catfish. my ph is low but i think that it could be because of the nitrites

In my experience, most of the additives except live bacteria, like biospira, are a waste of money. I would try weekly water changes, vacing every other change.

I dont use carbon either. Fill the space with more mechanical filter media if you can. Floss is my favorite. Keeps the water nice and clear.

Back
Top Bottom