Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jersysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed a lot of posts that say don't change the gravel in the filter. I have a small 5-gallon tank and a Whisper Economy filter. It uses a biobag as the filter material. It looks like a bag with charcoal in it. What do I do with this? Keep cleaning it with water from the tank? When it comes to replacing it, I will have to replace the whole bag. Won't this destroy my cycle? Any information will be appreciated.

One thing that may help is unless you have to filter out some chemical, you can just keep using the same carbon. Just pour it in the new bag (assuming you put the bags together yourself). This will help when you change the bag.

No, the bags come with the carbon already in them. According to the way that the instructions are, you pull one bag off of the holder and put another one on.

If its a whisper, you should be able to open it up and replace the carbon and keep your same bag on. Or one thing I do for filters like that when the bag gets ratty, is just float the new bag for a day or so before you change it and it works just fine. Plus you have bacteria all over every surface of your tank, so its no big deal. Unless your adding new fish or doing a major overhaul to your decorations or substrate at the same time, you shouldn't have any problems.

And welcome to AA (y)

you should "float" the new bag like dr_girlfriend said or put it in the filter(while the old one is still in there if it fits) but longer than 1 day because it takes longer than that for the bacteria to fully cover the bag even in an established tank with lots of gravel, ornaments, etc. you actually dont need the carbon at all so unless you're trying to get meds or contaminants out of the water, take out the carbon and just run the bag with some filter floss for extra filtration until it becomes unusable. i would leave the new bag in there for at least a week to be safe.

Check out the Imagine Bio3 filters for the Whisper. They basically added a sponge for biological filtration. You keep that sponge when you change the carbon so you keep your good bacteria. Not sure how effective it really is since I've only used it for 2-3 months, but it is very affordable.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=30607;category_id=2865

I've also heard of folks using a sponge that they buy at the dollar shop (6 for $1) in place of the filter and they claim to get better biological filtration 8O

those Imagine Bio3 filter bags do those only work for that kind of whisper filter or can you use it in any whisper filter?? i have a whisper power 10-15 filter.

I suspect the Whisper Junior is just the old name for the Whisper PF-10. The name of this product (in fact the whole family) has changed a couple of times over the years, but they all use the same physical media. There are two sizes: junior for the smaller filters and regular for the larger ones. I use these particular junior filters for my PF-10.

I don't think the PF use the new rounded bottom filters. Yes, PF is the classic style (square boxy) power filter.

Back
Top Bottom