Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Eheim Professional 2 (2028) water filter that is for 158 Gallon tanks. I want to know can you have too much filter for a tank?? I want to use it on about a 55 Gallon tank.

are you serious? the only 5X is kind of throwing me off, I dont know if you are being sarcastic?? or if it really okay to use

5x is not considered a lot of flow. On my fw tanks, I generally shoot for 10x and my s/w tanks atleast 15-20x.

I shoot for 10x/hour with my HOB filters, but I'm sure you would be fine with 5x turnover considering it is an Eheim canister. I've heard nothing but good things about them. :mrgreen:

My fluval 304 is rated at 260 gph and its good for up to 70 gallons, so you should be more than fine with the ehiem.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17051
Eheim publishes more accurate flow-rate numbers than other manufacturers, which accounts for why folks have to go to 10x flow-rate with other gear to make up for it. Basically, the Eheim number is for a cannister fully loaded with media and a reasonably filled tank, whereas other manufacturers base their number on an empty cannister in an empty tank for marketing reasons.

I have an Eheim 2026 running on a 58 gal - it produces a nice, not-too-strong current that the fish seem to enjoy. I think the 2028 differs only in that it has an additional media basket. Aside from fancy goldfish and bettas, I can't think of any fish that would get knocked around by the 2028's outflow in a 55 gal. I think it would do a great job.

Thanks much for your replies. I put the filter and tank togather today because I have 2 about 1 1/2" tiger oscars and I had them in a 5 1/2 gallon tank and this is my first fishtank and fish. I did not know why they were looking so sick on the third day so I cleaned the small tank and put them back in it the tank yesterday(yesterday I found out about tank cycle). I put the fish in the big tank today and I want to know if the big tank will have to cycle also and if so will it be more harsh or mild on the fish since it is a bigger tank?? I am new to this so please forgive me it i sound like an idiot. is there any way to make this process less deadly?

Get some SeaChem Stability for the big tank and use it. Also, stay on top of your Amonia levels with frequent water changes. Get a python if you don't already have one and put it to good use!

what is a python??

and how much water change all or partial?

and can I use the SeaChem Stability with the fish in the water or will I have to move them to a holding tank?

How long was your 5 1/2 gallon tank setup? Did you transfer gravel, decorations and filter from the 5 1/2g to the new tank? If so, that will greatly reduce your cycle.

Get a basic test kit for ammonia, nitrites and nitratea. Since you have fish in there, anything you measuer .25 or higher ammonia, do a 15-20% water change.

Read the cycling articles and that will give you more details.

My 2028 Pro works wonders on my 75 gallon tank in case you're still wondering. It's a great filter.

1) Python is a quick device for water changes, look it up on PetSmart.com.

2) I would change 30% of the water twice a week for a couple months, then drop to once per week. More if your test kit shows Ammonia.

3) You can add SeaChem Stability with fish in the tank, I did and didn't lose a single fish in my new tank cycle.

Hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom