Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Filter Question?

I've been reading up on here, and it seems that most of you who are really knowledgeable about aquarium care prefer the fluval filter. I've got the kind that just hang on the back of the tank. What's the difference? And why the fluval, in particular?

Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 AM   #2

Its quiet and effective. Basically maintanence free, good price, and lots of media choices. Plus, go into any LFS in the nation and you can get replacement media and often parts for it.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to rcjubei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Its quiet and effective. Basically maintanence free, good price, and lots of media choices. Plus, go into any LFS in the nation and you can get replacement media and often parts for it.
Tony really summed it up. The only thing that I can add (I have both a hob and canister filter on the same tank) is you can add much more media and in different combinations vs a hob. I have seen fluval accessories in almost every fish store I walk into.
Substrate: Flora Base by Red Sea
Moderate Planted w/ tiger lotus & red tiger lotus, swords, hornwort, candian pondweed, creeping ludwigia,Anubias Nana
Anubias Afzelii (Narrow-leaved),Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan'' Micro swords x2
CO2
Injected
Tank: 20 gal fw
Eclipse 3 Hood w/ bio wheel, 20 watts flourescent lighting
Substrate: 40lb eco-complete
Plants: 2-Anubias Nana, hornwort, tiger lotus
rcjubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The only kinds of filters I've ever seen/know anything about is the hob and ugf. How complicated is a canister? I mean, I even get the pre-assembled filters for my hob, it's simple to just pull the old cartridge out, and slide the new one in. But if canisters/fluvals are the healthier route to go, for the fishes sake, then I'd like to learn what you can tell me about them.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Here's a link and a nice description for the Fluval 104, the smallest Fluval: http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...ct1=&ct2=&ct3=

Are you thinking of using this filter on your 10 gallon tank? It may be overkill. Some say you can't overfilter, but I would think that this filter on a 10 gallon would cause too much waterflow in the small tank. However, I would also be interested in others' opinions. I have a 10 gallon tank that I wanted to use a canister filter on, so I wouldn't have a HOB, well, hanging off the back, lol, but I thought this canister would still be too powerful for the tank size. It would turn over the tank volume about 12 times per hour. Isn't that a bit much? I thought the target turnover range was 6-8 or maybe 6-10 times per hour.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to rcjubei
Here is a link to the hagen website, it breaks down the canister to give you an indepth look and you can read on the maintenance and so forth.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/manuals/fluve01.cfm

and

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/pro...01002000020101

I just bought my eheim canister filter (same concept as fluval) and it was very easy to set up (about 30 minutes total). Attach the intake tubing to the wall of your tank connect flexible tubing from intake to canister/canister to another flexible tubing to spray bar. Fill with any media you would like, the manual gives options but you make the over all decision. Depending which fluval you get depends on how many levels (if you will) baskets that it contains.
Substrate: Flora Base by Red Sea
Moderate Planted w/ tiger lotus & red tiger lotus, swords, hornwort, candian pondweed, creeping ludwigia,Anubias Nana
Anubias Afzelii (Narrow-leaved),Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan'' Micro swords x2
CO2
Injected
Tank: 20 gal fw
Eclipse 3 Hood w/ bio wheel, 20 watts flourescent lighting
Substrate: 40lb eco-complete
Plants: 2-Anubias Nana, hornwort, tiger lotus
rcjubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
Canister filters are just as easy as a HOB. and they are much more quieter and you can pick and chose what media to put in. like som media can lower PH and some can Raise. And you can also run a U.V. with a canister filter. It's just better all together.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kari, this link compares some of the more well known canister filters: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/fil...canistsers.htm

Although the article looks at canister filters from a saltwater point of view, it still has good information in general.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only use Cascade canister filters and find them very simple to use, quiet, efficient, and very well priced. It took me maybe 15 minutes to setup the 1200 that we just got a couple months ago. As all canister filters are, they are very flexible on what you can use for media.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com