filter question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jellybaby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I was wondering if it was important to get a filter for a saltwater aquarium. I have a 75 gallon. I'll be putting 70 to 75 pound of live rock, with skimmer. I won't be having a sump. I'll start off with fish only but I want my option to have maybe so corals later on.

So is it good to have a filter? And what kind of filter is best. I'm looking for a filter that is not hard to clean and not one that I have to do every day.

Are these good filter for a 75 gallon?

The Odyssea 4
RENA Filstar
fluva
Marineland Emperor 400

Thanks in advance :)

personally your best bet is to not go with one of those and go with a sump (depending on ur space)
The LR will really be your filtering but the cycling of the water and add water amount will make a huge different.
Im running a 90 gal and have a wet/dry sump and have LR rubble instead of the bioballs and have about 160lb total LR and doing good so far :)

one of the books i am currently reading on saltwater aquariums highly recommends an undergravel filter, do most other people rely on these as well or is using a sump with LR suffice

also what do you mean by a wet/dry sump?

UGF's are pretty much an out-dated form of filtration. Wet/dry is better, or ideally use live rock for bio-filtration, a DSB to help further break down waste, add a protein skimmer to improve water quality...and if you can, put a sump in.

Back
Top Bottom