Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luker78

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 10 gallon tank and it came with a filter that you hang on the side of the tank and water runs through it. Other than the filter, do I need a pump to add air? Plus are these pumps any good or should I look for a canister filter?

Thanx
Luc

The make of my filter is aqua-tech. I'm asking because I put in 4 gold fish right after I filled the tank and I lost one. The pet store told me to do this because it would help get the cycle going faster. They said I might lose one and it would be normal.

The AquaTech filter, although far from the best, should be adequate for a lightly-stocked 10 gallon tank. Please read our threads on fishless cycling, as cycling with fish is not the best way to go, and goldfish are a poor choice for it.

What are you hoping to eventually house in your 10, and have you got a heater, thermometer, water testing kit yet?

Well my gf likes neons but she would rather have something a little bigger. I'm a fan of angel fish. It might even end up being guppies but again they're kinda small. She just wants something colourfull. I would like some sort of snail, or shrimp to clean the bottom and I will have live plants for sure.

Thanks for the all the advice guys, I'll for sure check the threads on cycles.

As for test kits I don't have one yet, but I do know that my ph level is high. (around 8.1) I know this because I have a pool. By the way, I have well water so I know there is nothing added to it.

The test kit will be to test (primarily) ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in your tank...these are things that will appear during the cycle, and will be important to keep under control as your tank is stocked and matures....they are products of having fish and food in the tank, and do not come from outside sources (usually).

Your 10 is far too small to even consider angels....you will need to be thinking along the lines of 5-7 small fish (in total) like guppies or neon tetras.

LittlePuff said:
Only one goldfish in a ten gallon. The one probably died from ammonia poisoning.
Kim

1 goldfish per 10 gallons, I agree with. but a 10gal tank just doesn't have enough swimming space even for 1 goldfish.

I would avoid guppies, simply because they breed like rabbits, and you'll quickly get overstocked due to the fry.
Neon tetra, rummy nose tetra, cardinal tetra...all colorful, small, and active swimmers. 5-6 for a school.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I had too many fish in the tank although they were small. It was the type 3 for a dollar type. I think guppies or tetras will be my choice because of their color. Will live plants affect anything?

If you bought the typical hood for a 10 gallon tank, that comes with a 15W fluorescent bulb. This will provide more than enough light for many plants such as various Anubias species, African fern, dwarf sags, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Java fern, etc. You can help your plants grow by using fertilizer such as Flourish.

There are a number of fish that can do well in a tank that size although goldfish and angelfish are just too big. You could certainly try a school of tetras such as neons. I'd find a good LFS and see what species they have available. You might also consider some pygmy cories for bottom feeders. They are small enough that you could have 4 or 5 of them and some tetras as well.

Back
Top Bottom