Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

another question is my biowheel does it matter on speed or rotation? I notice sometimes it gets really slow so I move around the filters behind it and it starts rolling faster but then it makes a pattern of couple of fast rotations then a slow one then a couple of fast ones etc.

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Speed doesn't matter, as long as it's rotating. Mine does the same, sometimes faster, sometimes real slow. In the manual it even says if it stops, and then goes, you are fine. There is no set parameters on it as long as it's not permanently stopped. If it is, you then take your biowheel out, use the brush if one is supplied and brush out the bearing area gently (the part where the 2 ends of the biowheel go down into, and gently brush off where the ends stick out of the biowheel and then put it back in. I've never had to do it though, and going on a year of it's operating on my Emperor 280.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #13
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

My filter is making a vibrating noise from the motor anyone had this problem before?
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
Old 12-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I had that same problem on my Penguin BIO-Wheel 170. I replaced the impeller and that did the trick.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #15
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

do they sell those at the local fish store?
Plants
Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolak
Most all of my hob filters are Aqua Clears, I extend the intake tube down, and sometimes off to the side, with clear tubing from the hardware store. Water safe tubing is much cheaper than extension tubes, and you can customize it to whatever length you want. If you look at the bottom 10 gallon inthis picture, you can see the white hose that hooks down to the left;

Here's a couple of 29's with a little shorter extension;

I figure the more flow you can get across the tank, either vertically or horizontally, the better water circulation & filtration you will get. Those intake tubes in your link are horribly too short for my taste. I would extend them, it seems as soon as the water exits the filter, it goes right back in.

With an intake tube that short, you will have to shut off the filter for even a small water change. With a longer tube, you can do a pretty good size water change without unplugging & having to restart the filter.
Two quick questions:

1) Don't you think those white extention tubes you are suggesting look very unnatural and plain ugly?

2) How come you don't decorate any of your tanks?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:44 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz
do they sell those at the local fish store?
If your LFS doesn't stock the impeller then see if they can special order it for you. Otherwise, check one of the mailorder companies like www.drsfostersmith.com or www.bigalsonline.com.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I got an impeller for my Emperor 280 at Big Al's Online for like 10.00. They aren't very expensive at all. There is no real motor, it's run by a magnetic impeller. Your power cord operates a magnetic unit which spins up the impeller unit.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:35 AM   #19
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

could it be the magnetic unit is making the noise and not the impeller?
Plants
Old 12-10-2005, 05:51 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolak
Most all of my hob filters are Aqua Clears, I extend the intake tube down, and sometimes off to the side, with clear tubing from the hardware store. Water safe tubing is much cheaper than extension tubes, and you can customize it to whatever length you want. If you look at the bottom 10 gallon inthis picture, you can see the white hose that hooks down to the left;

I figure the more flow you can get across the tank, either vertically or horizontally, the better water circulation & filtration you will get. Those intake tubes in your link are horribly too short for my taste. I would extend them, it seems as soon as the water exits the filter, it goes right back in.

With an intake tube that short, you will have to shut off the filter for even a small water change. With a longer tube, you can do a pretty good size water change without unplugging & having to restart the filter.
Two quick questions:

1) Don't you think those white extention tubes you are suggesting look very unnatural and plain ugly?

2) How come you don't decorate any of your tanks?
A lot of fish breeders don't use any tank decorations at all except perhaps for some PVC tubing or breeding cones. It is usually more efficient this way and it is easier to clean the tanks.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com