Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KiGrind

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the site, sorry if this is in the wrong place. :oops:

I'm looking to get an XP3 for my 55 long tank. I have 5 silver dollars, 3 pictus catfish, and a school of tiger barbs of about 20. The filtering right now does a decent job, but as you can imaging in this tank its easy to trow off. I currently have two Aquaclear 30-40s and a Penguin 125 with a Maxi-Jef 400 power head blowing things around.

I do 15% water changes every other day and clearly understand how some people will think this tank is "overstocked" but I'm well aware of what people would consider it overstocked and the reasons and I've done a fin job preventing them for the past 5 months since the tank was up.

And for those who wonder, my tiger barbs anoy the silvers, not the other way around. its not bad, just every once in a while you'll see a tiger dart off and chase a big silver.

I'm looking to get the XP3, I just want to know what people think and if this is ok. It should be enough, with support for tanks 2-3x my size. I really want it for the turnover rate and size I can put filter media in.

Thanks, uploaded a pic too.

Attachments

• 55gallon_long_916.jpg
    55gallon_long_916.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 57
Welcome to AA!

Your tank looks great, and having an XP3 running on it will be perfect.

PS - I did move your thread to the General Equipment discussion forum.

Welcome to AA KiGrind!!!

The XP3 is an awesome filter IMO and I really think you will like it. I have an XP1 and it's very quiet, and it does a great job keeping my tank clean. My advice to you is to run all your old filters together with the XP3 for a couple of weeks, just to get your XP3 seeded. Then in 2-3 weeks, just remove the old filters, and you shouldn't see much of a mini-cycle, if any.

Your tank looks very nice, and I like your stand too. Did you build it yourself?

Thank you for all the comments, looks like a good community too.

The stand I got with the tank from my aunt who built it. It has a wooden top and a space on the right (You can see the box in the image) where the cords and plumbing can run down. Once I get the XP3 and break it in with my current filters, I'll be able to put the wooden top back on and take another picture.

It looks a lot better with the wooden piece on.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to pick it up thursday if all goes as planned. Only $104!!

XP3 is an excellent choice. Have a very good selection and quantity of media available, as well as simple maintenance. Don't get the Stars media though. I prefer either ceramic cylinders or lava granules. Also get some filter floss.

Back
Top Bottom