Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-31-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
filter questions

I think that, after my filters have been in about 3-4 weeks, they get gunked up enough so that the water flows back into the tank through the overflow outlets unfiltered. I say this because my wheels on the BioWheels slow down until they turn intermittently due to the increased water flow inhibition caused by filters getting clogged. This may be to some a very elementary finding but it is a new discovery to me. I've only had BioWheel filters for 3 - 4 weeks now am I'm noticing this. It probably happens to other filters too but is not as noticeable with them. I have noticed that when I put a cheapo filter in my Tetra Whisper 30, water flow is only maximum for a week or two before I see water coming through the overflow outlet which is located at the same point that the intake tube comes in just above the motor.

Can someone confirm this for me?

I do not plan on changing the filter immediately b/c I don't like losing the bacteria, but I do plan on rinsing them in aquarium water obtained via a PWC. I rotate changing out my multiple HOB filters so that biological activity does not cease when a filter is changed. Is this a good plan? How long should a replaceable filter last?

dax29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I have BIO-Wheel filters on two of my tanks and I have to change the filter pads in them at least once a month. You may also find it helpful to remove the intake tube and clean it with a flexible brush as algae can stay in there and slow down water flow. Rotating the order in which you change out the filters on a tank is a good idea if the only biological filtration they have is the filter cartridge. For BIO-Wheel filters this isn't necessary. The length of time a filter cartridge should last is dependent on a number of variables including fish stocking levels, type of fish in the tank, whether a tank is planted or not, etc. Generally it is a good idea to change out the filter cartridge after a month of use.

Gene Heitman - 12 tanks (11 freshwater and 1 saltwater), 206 gallons, 20+ species of fish/shrimp/snails, 52+ species of plants ... 10 years ago I just wanted 1 tank with some fish
gheitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to t27countryboy Send a message via Yahoo to t27countryboy
Your bio-wheels do not have to rotate at a fast speed to be effective.They tell you that when the bio-wheels get slow and rotate very slow it is normal.IN less the wheels stop completely do not touch them.They are still doing there job if they are very slow.Yes,the filters usually get changed once a month or so.You could rinse them in your water change water and get a little more out of them if you wish.I have bio-wheels also and they have slowed down alot since they were new two months ago.
55 gallon freshwater
glass canopy with 48"twin tube flourescents
double emperor 400's
visi-therm 300w heater
tetra-tec AP200 air-pump
2 12 inch bubble strips
1 tiger oscar
1 red oscar
2 algea-eaters
10 gallon freshwater
1 whisper 30 pf
visi-therm 100w heater
rena200 air-pump[
4"round bubble circle
2 goldfish
1 catfish
1 algea-eater
2.5 gallon octagon freshwater
full hood with double light
1 nano filter
1 multi-colored betta
t27countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks. I've got some new Penguin replacements to go in so I'll be good to go. T
dax29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com