Filter Recomendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

depdiver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting ready to jump back into game after a ten year absence. I am wondering about is the best filter for a 55 Gallon tank. I have a Magnum 350 that has been sitting for 10 years, I was out on Marineland's site and it looks like I can get replacement parts for it to get it running again, but I wonder if it is the best way to go. A decade of technology advances might be worth looking into. What are you thoughts on providing the healthiest environment for the future additions to our family?

Thanks,
Dep

The Magnum 350 is still a viable option for filtration and should do a great job on a 55. The only problem with this filter, and all the Magnums are this way, is the lack of a good biological filter integrated into the canister. The Bio Wheel Pro 30 or Pro 60 solves this problem. I have been using a HOT Magnum with a Pro 30 on my 55g FW tanks for more years than I can remember. It does a good job. You can run the Bio Wheels off the canister return or hook them to a separate powerhead.

I use a Fluval 404 canister filter on my 55gal Oscar tank and it does a wonderful job.
Keeps the water crystal clear.

I'm using a Millenium 3000 as the main filter on my 55 gallon Tanganyikan tank and it does an excellent job!

Any of these filters would do a fine job. Since you already have the Mag 350, I'd attempt to get it running though as it will be plenty as long as you add the Bio Wheels or some other biomedia.

Back
Top Bottom