filter recomendation for a 29 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andresdeo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im setting up a 29 gal tank, freshwater fish and live plants. I wanted to get some information on what filtres you guys would recommend.

People definitely like the Aquaclears. I really like my aquatechs, but most people don't recommend them.

I like the marineland, penguin filters, a penguin 200 should be good enough, I like the bio wheels. They work well they even come with trays to add anything you want in it as well

I second the suggestion of an aquaclear. Depending on your bioload i would go with the AC50 or the AC70, not much difference in price but you can never have too much filtration :-D

My lfs carries the brand hailea, i
i was between the lp700 and 1000 models, know anything about those, are they any good?

I dislike the splashing sound and ugliness of hang-on-tank filters. I have an Eheim 2213 on my 29g that seems to do the job, though I'd prefer a 2215.

My lfs carries the brand hailea, i
i was between the lp700 and 1000 models, know anything about those, are they any good?

Looks decent enough, but no reviews for their HOB model that I could find. Their canister got panned by a UK review, so based on that I'd pass myself. Get the AC50, you will not be disappointed :D.

I currently have 2 marineland emperors 400 gph on my 55g freshwater. I love the filters I highly recommend them. Little to no noise. The bio wheels acts as a beneficial bacteria. Comes with to empty slot with trays to add extra carbon or ammonia remover or whatever additives you wish. I currently cut my own filter pads to size and use the trays to mix ammonia remover and carbon. API ammo chips and API carbon. works great.

Why did it get panned? Some have commented that its too noisy. I'll look around to try and get an AC or marineland. They seem to be the most popular.

Why did it get panned? Some have commented that its too noisy. I'll look around to try and get an AC or marineland. They seem to be the most popular.

Here's the review on the Hailea canister (no reviews on HOB):

UK Aquatic Plant Society Forum • View topic - [Review] Hailea H-12 - Cheap Ebay 1200l/hr External

I had a bio-wheel filter and it was worthless, wheel always jamming and man was it noisy, plus it's a cartridge style filter so you're always having to buy new ones unless you remove the carbon by cutting it up. Leave carbon in the filter too long and it leeches junk back it to the tank. The AC has the best media setup IMO/E. There's the Fusion4 PF too, it's a great filter but has limited market dispersal.

Amazon.com: JW Pet Company Fusion 4 Power Filter for 15-40 Gallon Aquariums Aquarium Filter: Kitchen & Dining

Mr. Limpet said:
Here's the review on the Hailea canister (no reviews on HOB):

UK Aquatic Plant Society Forum • View topic - [Review] Hailea H-12 - Cheap Ebay 1200l/hr External

I had a bio-wheel filter and it was worthless, wheel always jamming and man was it noisy, plus it's a cartridge style filter so you're always having to buy new ones unless you remove the carbon by cutting it up. Leave carbon in the filter too long and it leeches junk back it to the tank. The AC has the best media setup IMO/E. There's the Fusion4 PF too, it's a great filter but has limited market dispersal.

Amazon.com: JW Pet Company Fusion 4 Power Filter for 15-40 Gallon Aquariums Aquarium Filter: Kitchen & Dining

First off you don't need to buy the cartridge you can buy filter pads and cut to size. last a lot longer. and if you buy a emperor it comes with a tray for your carbon to go into mine been setup for over a year and very quiet. And easy to maintain. If the wheels are getting stuck then you don't have the spray nozzle in the right position

I'll be travelling over there in a couple of days so I might buy it then. Maybe i can find a fs or online. Im a diy kind of person, so you guys think its doable for a tank this size. An internal filtre cause i dont want to go to the trouble of a wet/dry or sump.

First off you don't need to buy the cartridge you can buy filter pads and cut to size. last a lot longer. and if you buy a emperor it comes with a tray for your carbon to go into mine been setup for over a year and very quiet. And easy to maintain. If the wheels are getting stuck then you don't have the spray nozzle in the right position

I don't remember what my bio-wheel mfg was, but unlike my Aqueon where I do cut filter pads to replace the cartridges since it has a frame to support it, the bio-wheel didn't. I also don't remember there being a spray nozzle and every since I found the AC line of filters, I don't look at any others :). The Fusion4 I got for next to nothing as a field tester, so that made it worth while.

Good news!! I found a FS that carries AC filtres, so I'll go check them out this weekend.

The AC are definitely the way to go for hanging filters. Just be sure you only rinse the sponge out in water from the aquarium and not tapwater.

Back
Top Bottom