Filter sock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a filter sock running for about a week and it's so clogged the water won't easily flow. What's the best way to clean it it won't just rinse off

My husband built a stand and we put the sock on it and hose it off, then let it dry outside in the sun. I have 2 socks alternate them every 3 days.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also have 2 socks and rotate them. To clean them I throw them in the washing machine, turn inside out, no detergent and extra rinse then air dry. If you actually open the lid and have a look during the first agitate cycle it will look like mud, don't let the wife see. If my wife say how gungy it was she would probably make me hand wash.

I throw the socks in the washing machine with a cup of bleach and wash on the hottest and longest cycle. I then run them through again with no bleach on the hottest longest cycle with an extra long rinse. Then they go outside and air dry. I smell them to be sure all the bleach has been rinsed out. I do large loads of these though, like 10 or more at a time so it works out well for me, I wash maybe once a month.
Been doing it this way for the last few years and never had any issues. :)

You want to change it once it becomes clogged and water spills out the top. I personally do mine once a week as I work out of town but every 4-5 days should be about right.

I have been washing my filter socks the same way as carey for many years without any issues. I have a 220 reef tank and run 2 of the large 7" x 16" filter socks simutianously, I have about 20 socks that I rotate and It gives me time to wash them and air dry till the bleach smell is gone for the next use.

I tried washing my socks in the washer with a little bleach and hot wayer. It's much better than rinsing them out with water hose. I was wondering I sew, do you know of anyone that makes their socks?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't know where to get the material? I get them for around $7 each from bulkreefsupply, I prefer the plastic ring over the draw string. but I would think that would be an easy task for you to sew your own when you find the proper material.

What do others do?

I have a planted tank - Sump - setup.. and I read how many people, replace their socks often - mainly because of overflow (water restriction), which makes sense. Then there are others who say that their parameters are affected by having their socks in there, for more than 2 days etc. I find this second reason - ridiculous, as I see the filter sock - doing nothing more than what a typical canister (external) filter would be doing. Can someone please explain to me, if there is any reason other then overflow, why a filter sock would need to be replaced more often, based on the reasons that it is affecting the parameters - we all know and love Ph, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite? Thanks in advance. Please note that I have a planted aquariums x 2, 1 with an external canister, which gets briefly cleaned - once every 3 months, and I have never had any issues with the water or fish, and now recently I have a sump tank, which I have just installed a filter sock and learning all about sumps.. :fish1:

I believe most sock users are SW reef keepers and any opportunity for debris to collect and not be removed increases the likelihood of spikes in nitrogenous wastes which is a big no no to nitrate sensitive organisms. Freshwater, especially planted freshwater, on the other hand, has a different tolerance for nitrogenous waste.

Back
Top Bottom