Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have heard to wash them in the washing machine with some bleach. I quite using mine because I found one of my fish inside the sock dead water I guess use to strong in there and he could not get out and killed him. So I quite using mine after that.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have well over 2 dozen socks since I use them in most of my tanks. lol I get them for like $5 a piece during a BRS group buy so it makes it cheap. I keep a bucket of used socks and when the bucket is full, like once a month I throw them in the deep steam cycle of my washer with a cup or so of bleach. I run the longest and hottest cycle i can. I then run them through the same cycle again with no bleach. Comes out pretty clean. You can them let them air dry outside to let any bleach gases dry out of them. If they smell at all like bleach run them through the rinse again til the scent is gone. I have never gone past the double cycle though, they never smell like bleach when I'm done.

I used to wash them out with a high pressure garden hose attachment but got tired of getting soaked every time I did that so I made the move tot he washing machine.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams View Post
I have heard to wash them in the washing machine with some bleach. I quite using mine because I found one of my fish inside the sock dead water I guess use to strong in there and he could not get out and killed him. So I quite using mine after that.
I remember the first night I had my diy overflow set up it sucked 5 fish in. I found the fish the next morning in the filter sock (all alive).
Old 10-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 washing machine. Once every few months I use very small amounts of bleach (no detergent) to make them like new again. (There's no real benefit here, just personal preference.) When I do this, I do another cycle with just hot water to rinse the bleach off.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
+1 washing machine. Once every few months I use very small amounts of bleach (no detergent) to make them like new again. (There's no real benefit here, just personal preference.) When I do this, I do another cycle with just hot water to rinse the bleach off.
+2 When I pull them out, I'll turn them inside out and rinse off any coarse stuff that's accumulated, then toss them in a bucket for later washing. I've got a dozen socks, and changing them out every 3 days or so lasts me about a month, then toss them in the wash. First wash cycle with some bleach only, and a second wash cycle to ensure a good rinse.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the felt filter socks and they were not able to strain the water fast enough. I went and bought polyester ones and they work a lot better.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB View Post
I have a 135g dt with a 40g sump. I keep 4 socks on hand and rotate them. I wash in washer with a little bleach then flip inside out and run them again. This time no bleach, just rinse and spin. Works well for me. I find myself changing them out every 4-5 days.
Yep do this exact same thing

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com