Filter Stopped Working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quello93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Fluval AquaClear 50 Power Filter has stopped working. I just put in some Flourite substrate right before this happened. Is it possible that it has become clogged? If it is how do I remedy the problem? Any help would be appreciated ASAP.

EDIT: I found out a solution, I just stuck a pen in the propeller while it was plugged in and it started up again. Thanks anyways! :)

Unplug filter. Drain water out of it by taking it off the tank and dumping the water out of it. Grasp black plastic motor at the bottom of filter and turn it(can't remember which way) and pull it out from the filter body. Inside the motor you will see a magnetic impeller on a shaft. Turn the motor upside down and give this a shake out into your hand. Once it's out give the inside of the motor around the shaft a cleaning by rinsing and use a q-tip to loosen any debris if required. Also clean the impeller with a rinse. Put it back together and reinstall on your tank, fill it with water from your tank only and plug it back in. It should reprime it's self after a minute or 2 and work normal.

As jmunroe mentioned, a good cleaning should resolve this. However, I have found that tapping the impeller will often get it going. Not a long term fix but something to do until you can properly clean it.

Back
Top Bottom