filter suck or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planing to upgrade my sump pump. Couple weeks ago I asked you guys about suggestions how it should look. I looked at Melevsreef.com as you advice me. They have a lot of diffrent kinds. I plan to have 30gal. 36x12x16. From left will be 2 drains then baffle, skimmer, refugium then 3 bafffles <buble trap> and return. Do You use filter sucks or not. I do, but i read a lot of bad things about them.And second very important. In Melevsreef.com they say the flow in refiugium should be slower then in the rest of the sump. That make my plan more complcated. What do you think? Can I get away with the same flow? I did experiment to measure my flow. After all elbows,chiller and uv and hight it is about 650g/h. Please let me know what you think about thouse two questions. Thank you!!!!

I don't use a sock, others do. If you use one you should remove it weekly for cleaning.
I knew there will be mix opinions about this.I used sock because that how my LFS did my 90.gal. but if i really do not need it I rather skip it and that give me more space in the sump. But what about the flow in refugium? Should it will be slower then the main flow? Please let me know. And what other peolpe think? Thanks. I want to build that sump next week.

A true refugium should have low flow. When you are using part of the sump as a 'fuge' to grow some macro algae, treat the whole sump as a fuge and size the return pump to your overflow. Macro algae and pods will still grow in the sump/fuge.

Back
Top Bottom