filter sucking up air from the air stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Duke 8705

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have a tip or trick to avoid this problem? my friend has a 55 gallon tank set up and doesn't want to tear his tank apart to move the air stone. I know he is using a Rena XP4 and a really long air stone. We were thinking of try a piece of nylon stocking or something like that over the intake. any suggestions would be great.

:thanks:

Filter and Airstone

Does anyone have a tip or trick to avoid this problem? my friend has a 55 gallon tank set up and doesn't want to tear his tank apart to move the air stone. I know he is using a Rena XP4 and a really long air stone. We were thinking of try a piece of nylon stocking or something like that over the intake. any suggestions would be great.

:thanks:

Hello Duke...

Had that problem too. The bubbles from the airstone were being drawn into the power filter. Had to move one or the other and then decided the filter was aerating the tank enough to the point I really didn't need the airstone, so I unplugged it, but left it in the tank.

Airstones do little to get O2 into the water and CO2 out. The reason is the bubbles rise and escape so quickly, there's very little gas exchange. If you have a filter with a gph (gallon per hour) rating at least 6 times the volume of your tank, then there's really no point in running an airstone, unless you like the bubble effect. The filter does a much better job of aeration.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B

I just spoke with him about it, its a 48" air stone and is just for looks. he got bored with his background and covered it with the bubbles. he is going to try a coarse sponge or piece of filter.

Back
Top Bottom