Filter suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been out of the fish keeping game for a couple of years and was wondering I anyone had any suggestions on a good filter setup for a 90 gallon Cichlid tank. The tank came with a Penn-Plax cascade, not sure what model. I feel however that filter wont handle the GPH rate for the tank or the bioload the larger cichlids can put out.

I had a fluval about 5 years back and it seemed to work well, but wanted to get everyones opinion before I went out and spent a bunch of money.

I would definitely suggest a canister over an HOB for your tank. Fluval, Rena, and Eheim are all good filters IMO, I have all three. I would look at either a rena xp4, two fluval 305's, or a 405 and a 305... JMO

I have been using a fluval fx5 on my 125g cichlid tank and its working well. Before that i had the fluval 305 on a 55g cichlid tank. :)

I would go with the fx5 if you can or maybe 2 aquaclear 110's hobs...or one and the penn plax you have.

I recently got a Marineland C-360 for my 46 gallon tank and love it. For your 90 gallon, I think the C-530 would be nice.

I would recommend the Eheim 2217 or the Rena XP3 or XP4. All kind of depends on your budget. The Fluval FX5 is nice too, but about $250 online. With cichlids it is good to overfilter, they tend to be a little dirty. The ultimate of all these in my opinion is the Fluval FX5. Lots of flexibility and big flow rate.

The Fluval Fx5 looks amazing I just don't know if I could bring myself to spend almost 400 on a filter >_< I may invest in One of the bigger Fluval 5 series though they look pretty solid. I do some research in the Rena and Eheim as well.

Yep just looked on Amazon looks like they have some for about 230, thanks for the suggestion! I think thats what I'll go for then is the Fx5, now time to save my pennies and convince my GF I need to spend 230 bucks on a filter ^_^

So I've narrowed it down to Eheim 2217 x2 or one Fluval Fx5. I have a friend who can get the Eheims at cost for $116 a piece . They come out to about the same cost. I'm leaning towards the Eheims.

I would lean towards the FX5 over the eheims... Much better filter. It is nice having two filters in case one stops working, but when comparing two of those to one FX5, there's no comparison IMO

That's why I was mainly leaning towards two Eheims so if one failed I'd have a back up. I've read though that the Fx5 has allot of media bypass.

I have both and dont have any complaints about either. I have an FX5 and a 405 on my 240G and 2 2217's on my 140. I like having 2 filters so that you can clean one every other week or whatever your routine is. Allows bacteria to stay in one while you do maintenance on the other. Also the argument for having two if one fails. All comes down to personal choice. None of these filters are noisy either.

Since everyone is on the subject of filters, i had a question after i talked to a guy at the LFS, what is the maintenance like on a canister filter i have only had experience with HOB's...He gave me the impression its a PITA to change out media and do regular service to canisters.

He gave me the impression its a PITA to change out media and do regular service to canisters.
Actually quite the opposite. I think its pretty easy. Generally you unhook the top, lift the trays out, and switch out the media. I used HOBs for years but just recently got a C-360 canister, and Im glad I did. Its much better filtration but still easy to work with. If you make the switch I don't think you'll regret it.

I prefer my canisters, they are quite simple to clean really. Just removing the lid and the trays pretty much. I haven't done my FX5 yet, it's a monster but I expect that one to be a pain only cause of it's size. lol

I agree with the above, I don't think you'd regret the purchase. Just try to get a filter that is over rated for your tank, ie: 50 g tank get a 70-100 gallon filter. It will pay off in the end, I promise.

Back
Top Bottom