Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Filter system. please help

I have a filter system. the water flows into a small tank, with a several partition in it and is pumped back to the tank again .. What does this type of filter system called ?

Second, what would be the ideal substance to be placed in those partitions in sequence?

Water in ---------------------> water out
Sponges ---> carbon ----> bioballs ?

What's the use of bioballs ? to me , they just seem to be small rubber balls ...?

thanks

Old 04-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a sump to me. I am not really sure on what you want, but I am fairly sure that bioballs are a fairly antiquated notion by now. Their purpose is that they have a ton of surface area on them for nitrifying bacteria to live on. The only problem is that in the process, they produce a lot of nitrate which can build up quickly. Most people ditch the balls and put some reef rubble in there.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to StyleUK
Sounds like a sump to me too, some people like them others don't. Have a look around and decide from different opinions, I like them myself and think they're one of the best types of filteration, so good luck!

As for the bioballs, i'm not sure, maybe a few more of our senior members will post and help!

HTH
Old 04-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bioballs are an ideal place for colonization of nitrifying bacteria. The essential ingredient of a cycled tank. Moving water along the surface of the bioballs ensures enough O2 for a healthy colony.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, i believe there's a several partitions in the sump right ? a place to put your bioballs, to put your carbon , to put the sponges ...etc..

does the order of those arrangement important ? or do i have to follow a certain sequence ?

Water in ---------------------> water out

First Sponges , and then activated carbon and lastly bioballs ?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

First you want to filter out big stuff..... Sponges, ceramic rings, and floss can do that, then you want to grow bacteria..bio-balls, Bio-max (scinteres glass noodles), I have even seen people used smached up terracotta, ceramic tiles etc. i.e. porus material that allows bacteria to grow and created eddie currents to distribute oxygenated water to all surfaces.

I wouldn't worry about the carbon. More expence, maintanence and hassle than it is worth. You don't NEED it unless you are removing medication from the tank.

Tags
filter, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com