Filter system. please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angmoh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a filter system. the water flows into a small tank, with a several partition in it and is pumped back to the tank again .. What does this type of filter system called ?

Second, what would be the ideal substance to be placed in those partitions in sequence?

Water in ---------------------> water out
Sponges ---> carbon ----> bioballs ?

What's the use of bioballs ? to me , they just seem to be small rubber balls ...?

thanks

Sounds like a sump to me. I am not really sure on what you want, but I am fairly sure that bioballs are a fairly antiquated notion by now. Their purpose is that they have a ton of surface area on them for nitrifying bacteria to live on. The only problem is that in the process, they produce a lot of nitrate which can build up quickly. Most people ditch the balls and put some reef rubble in there.

Sounds like a sump to me too, some people like them others don't. Have a look around and decide from different opinions, I like them myself and think they're one of the best types of filteration, so good luck!

As for the bioballs, i'm not sure, maybe a few more of our senior members will post and help!

HTH

The bioballs are an ideal place for colonization of nitrifying bacteria. The essential ingredient of a cycled tank. Moving water along the surface of the bioballs ensures enough O2 for a healthy colony.

well, i believe there's a several partitions in the sump right ? a place to put your bioballs, to put your carbon , to put the sponges ...etc..

does the order of those arrangement important ? or do i have to follow a certain sequence ?

Water in ---------------------> water out

First Sponges , and then activated carbon and lastly bioballs ?

First you want to filter out big stuff..... Sponges, ceramic rings, and floss can do that, then you want to grow bacteria..bio-balls, Bio-max (scinteres glass noodles), I have even seen people used smached up terracotta, ceramic tiles etc. i.e. porus material that allows bacteria to grow and created eddie currents to distribute oxygenated water to all surfaces.

I wouldn't worry about the carbon. More expence, maintanence and hassle than it is worth. You don't NEED it unless you are removing medication from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom