Filter that leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazychris

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have an Aqueon filter that has a leak. What is a safe sealant to fix it so I don't kill my fish?

It leaks from the side of the filter. There's a seam on the side of the filter and that's where the leak is coming from. If I can't return the filter I'll try to seal it with one of those sealants that are fish friendly.

Silicone that is safe for fish and duct tape. Or return for money back and get a new one.

@ Zags its pretty much brand new but the catch is that I bought it off eBay. I do have another one coming to me from the same seller that I bought before this one started leaking. I've asked if I could return that one in exchange for another one.
@ Jake thank you for the info. I'm not using duct tape though. Lol

I had an overflow that cracked (Marineland SOS) I repaired with PVC cement. You might also consider Weld On, but I've never used it personally.

Hmmmmmmm I can get my hands on some PVC glue. And have that thing sealed in a hurry.

I would replace all the top sealing rings first as it may be coming down from the top in one of the seams

If not then pond milliputt is great you can Seal the leak with the filter running and it sets hard as stone even on pipes with mains water pleasure to stuff every fish keep should have some it come in 2 parts you brake of as much as you need from both bits rub them together push into the place of the leak which it deals right away and it goes hard in 12 hours

Thank you for the help. I've got a replacement on its way. I will check out the rings on it.

I know duct tape isn't verry smart but I would buy a new filter unless you really like the one you have you might be able to repair it with silicone.

Yeah duct tape wouldn't be a good idea. Lol. I have another one coming to me since the person I bought it from on eBay has about 12 of them for sale. They are sending me a new one and I'm returning the other one that leaked. I originally wanted 2 of these Aqueon filters for my tank so I could eliminate the Aquatech filter I have. The Aquatech isn't a bad filter but its not nearly as good as the Aqueon that filters 400 gallons per hour. So when I get my replacement for the one that leaked I'll have 2 Aqueon 55/75 filters and be filtering 800 gallons per hour in my 55 gallon tank that's fully stocked.

Back
Top Bottom